These are SO GOOD! They’re a variation of Becca’s Chocolate Nutty Truffles from THE TEEN’S VEGETARIAN COOKBOOK. Back before I cooked vegetarian almost all the time, I bought this book for a friend’s teenager, and the recipes looked so good I bought myself a copy.
Charlie was having headaches, and wondered if it was because of the dark chocolate candy we keep in the freezer to nibble on.
So I made these, which don’t have the chocolate chips that are in “Becca”‘s.
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 cup nut butter (I used peanut butter)
- 4 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- powdered sugar
- In a dry skillet, heat almonds and cashews over a low heat, stirring frequently, until they smell toasty and … well … nutty.
- In a bowl, mix together nut butter, maple syrup, nuts, and dates. (If you DO use chocolate chips, add them now.)
- Make teaspoon-size balls of the mixture and roll in powdered sugar. –Pardon me, I just had an I Love Lucy vision– Roll the balls in powdered sugar. Thank you.
You can use any kind of nuts and any kind of nut butter and any kind of dried fruit and any kind of sweetener you want. I guess you could use broken pretzels. I guess you could use that new coconut macaroon cookie spread instead of nut butter.
It’s all good.
A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: A character misunderstands a direction.