The Crab Shack #ThursdayDoors

In December of 2011, some of the members of the Southern Indiana Writers Group (including me) were granted a week-long stay on Tybee Island by Mermaid Cottages. In return, we promised to each write a story set on Tybee Island. These were supposed to be collected with other such stories resulting from other such grants, and published in a promotional book. Never happened, as far as I know.

BUT we got a week on Tybee Island, and that was pure heaven. Tybee Island is just off the coast of Savannah, Georgia. Some time I’ll have to get Ginny on here to tell you about the trip down.

I think I liked the beach the best, which says a lot about the beach, because the food was FABULOUS! And I’m not just talking about the pounds of bacon we roasted in the cottage oven.

Our favorite place to eat was The Crab Shack. We went there twice.

TybeeCrabShackLet’s see that a little closer.

TybeeCrabShackCloseupOh, that red-and-white bit in the background? That’s a skeleton in a Santa suit. On a boat.

TybeeCrabShackGatorsWhere they keep the ‘gators.

TybeeCrabShacklightsBeneath these lights, we ate crab legs, shrimp, roasted red potatoes, grilled corn on the cob, and many other things! I used to have a picture of the everything plate, but I must have eated it.

TybeeCrabShackParrotDOOR!

The parrot is wearing a Christmas hat, because it was December. The door leads to where you can view the alligators.

TybeeCrabShackGators2Like those.

I would absolutely go back. I would wrassle an alligator, if I had to.

This is part of Norm Frampton’s Thursday Doors link-up. Go over there and follow the link to see a list of participants.

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: What would your main character wrassle an alligator for?

One thought on “The Crab Shack #ThursdayDoors

1. Joey

March 17, 2016 at 10:54am

Since we lived down that way for a while, we did go there. I never was much a fan of Tybee Island (loud and crowded) and preferred Jekyll Island (quiet and desolate) — but the kids loved Tybee more. The Crab Shack was good! 😀

March 17, 2016 at 1:31pm

Tybee wasn’t loud and crowded when we were there in early December, or I would have hated it! Jekyll sounds more my style, but did they have an awesome restaurant? 😀
      Marian Allen recently posted..A DEAD GUY AT THE SUMMERHOUSE

2. Dan

March 17, 2016 at 12:28pm

I add this to the list of good places to eat, places to see alligators, where to go if I need a skeleton or a Santa Suit for a skinny friend. Looks like a fun time could be had there for certain.
    Dan recently posted..Thursday Doors – Seattle Walk Personal

3. jJesh Stg

March 17, 2016 at 2:56pm

Wow, the crab door is hard to overlook! Was this taken around Xmas? Then the santa suit would be “normal,” but if it’s throughout the year… Your list of seafood makes me hungry!

March 17, 2016 at 2:58pm

The crab door is AWESOME!

Great places to eat are even better!

March 18, 2016 at 11:21am

I’ll post some pictures of the beaches at Tybee Island. It was too cool for sunbathers, but plenty nice enough to beachcombing, which was my childhood ambition. So it was a dream come true for me!
      Marian Allen recently posted..TURTLE FEATHERS

5. Deborah aka CircadianReflections

March 18, 2016 at 9:57pm

LOL! You’re so funny! I loved this post and laughed out loud a lot. The Santa is crazy!

You’ve convinced me to try the Crab Shack if I ever find myself around there.

March 19, 2016 at 8:12am

In early December, the humidity was minimal. I’ve felt MUCH worse humidity in the Ohio River Valley. The sea breeze kept things nice. If I ever get to go back, it’ll be around the same time. I’m not a sunbather, so I didn’t regret not being able to fry myself. Although I probably could have, if I’d wanted to. At the hottest part of the day, it was in the 70s.
      Marian Allen recently posted..Clementine’s Return #Caturday

• Jane

March 19, 2016 at 10:40am

BTW:
        I just LOOVE the phrase:

And THIS is where they keep the alligators!