How Green Was My Hummus #vegan

My friend and fellow author, Andrea Gilbey, has made greener hummus than this, out of peas, but this is the greenest chickpea hummus I ever made.

Doesn’t look all that green, in contrast with the parsley on the top, but trust me. It was greenish.

Here’s how I made it:

Hummus With Parsley

• 1/4 cup tahini
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice (I used fresh lemons)

Process these together. Add:

• 1/2 clove garlic
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons parsley (I used fresh parsley)

Process these with the tahini/lemon mixture.

Reserving the liquid, drain and rinse a can of

• chickpeas

Add half the chickpeas to the blender and blend until smooth, stopping the process to scrape the sides and top of the processor. Add the other half and 2-3 tablespoons of the chickpea liquid. Blend for about 5 minutes.

BOY, was this good!

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Your character makes something green, deliberately or by accident.

One thought on “How Green Was My Hummus #vegan

1. Joey

January 4, 2017 at 12:45pm

I’ve made hummus many times, but I hate making it. The only thing I think is worse to make is baba ganoush. Too much labor for the result. Having said that, your recipe looks good and the picture makes my mouth water!
    I do not know if I would like pea hummus. I’d try it though 🙂
    Joey recently posted..One-Liner Wednesday — Growing Up

January 4, 2017 at 3:39pm

Baba ganoush is a bit of a PITA, you should excuse the pun, but not bad, with a toaster oven to roast the eggplant. Hummus is a whiz, with a food processor. Messy clean-up, but pretty quick and easy, or I wouldn’t do it! 😀
      Marian Allen recently posted..How Green Was My Hummus #vegan

January 5, 2017 at 10:01am

Is there a reason you take off the skins? Do they make it taste different? ‘Cause the skins get all mooshed up with the rest of it. Or is it just A Thing? If it’s just A Thing, that DOES make prep a big fat pain. … Okay, I looked it up and saw that the hummus is smoother without the skins. And look what else I found! Super Quick chickpea skinning! Oh — and I do use canned ones.
          Marian Allen recently posted..Columbus Event #ThursdayDoors #IUPUC #BN

• Joey

January 5, 2017 at 12:12pm

I liked that video! That IS a faster route. Thank you! It’s a texture thing. I like it smooth. But I’m still gonna buy mine when I can, cause I can get a big tub of it at Meijer (their brand, made in the deli) for $5.

2. Dan

January 4, 2017 at 4:26pm

Sorry. I saw the chickpeas and I turned green. I did enjoy some white bean hummus my wife made for me. I’m not sure if you could make it green.
    Dan recently posted..One-Liner Wednesday – The Curse

January 5, 2017 at 9:44am

I’ve been eating Edamame Hummus from my friendly Kroger store, and it’s YUMMY!
    The edamame instead of chickpeas adds just the right amount of subtle extra difference to become a taste sensation. 😉