The Railroad That Used To Been #ThursdayDoors

I can remember when the Louisville, New Albany and Corydon Railroad (aka The Dinky) was still running between Corydon and Corydon Junction.

After it stopped being a working railroad, it was used as a tourist attraction. Sometimes they would have desperadoes on horses pretend to try to stop it and rob it. My husband’s family rode it as part of a reunion.

We bought our tickets here.

I took a shortcut through the rail yard today, because I passed my turn like a big dummy, and got these shots, but I was too close to the trains to get a good picture. Here are two I took a few summers ago, in the parking lot of the old Keller Furniture Company, which was being used for a farmer’s market.

To me, riding a train is almost as thick a slice of hell as riding a boat or a plane, but I do miss hearing that whistle blow.

This has been part of Norm Frampton’s awesomely awesome link-up, Thursday Doors. Go to Norm’s blog, look at his doors, click on the blue frog link at the bottom, and see who else is posting door pictures. Post your own!

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Write about a train. Or train tracks. Or an abandoned railway station.

One thought on “The Railroad That Used To Been #ThursdayDoors

February 16, 2017 at 8:32am

I live near still-operational train routes. Used to be, there were passenger cars on those trains, especially around Derby time.
    Now, all we get are hauling trains.

February 16, 2017 at 8:51am

We went from Chicago to NYC and back on passenger trains. Never again. ‘Course, we also went from Paris to Pisa on a passenger train, and that was bearable. The difference between a country that doesn’t give a Honey Badger shit about train travel and ones that consider it part of the fabric of life. And don’t anybody say I hate America because our American train trip was a little slice o’ hell. Gosh! < -Napoleon Dynamite voice. Marian Allen would love to share..The Railroad That Used To Been #ThursdayDoorsMy Profile

• janet

February 16, 2017 at 10:38am

When we were growing up, we lived in Omaha, right on the train route for the San Francisco Zephyr. As my mom’s family lived in California, we took the train a few times. I have great memories of the dome car, but my parents remember the “fun” stuff, such as the AC going out. 🙂 I’d like to take the train across Canada some time, but who knows if that will ever happen. Prices are rather high. I’ve taken trains in Europe and enjoyed them, but I’ve never done an overnight there, either, so I can’t comment on that.

Happy Thursday, Marian!

janet
        janet would love to share..Thursday Doors…His and hersMy Profile

2. Dan Antion

February 16, 2017 at 11:50am

I love the old station. I hope there’s a future for it somehow. Unlike you, I would take a train anywhere and I would choose a train over a car, plane or boat. I think the only thing I’d choose over a train would be if I could step into the Trainspotter and beam myself to Iowa.
    Dan Antion would love to share..Thursday Doors – Barns in the SnowMy Profile

February 16, 2017 at 2:29pm

I hope there’s a future for the old station, too. It’s a nice building. I like train stations, unlike trains. I can understand people loving trains, I really can, even though I don’t. I like the IDEA of trains, especially back when they were made out of wood, with paneling and all. The history of rail travel is so rich, and the literature (I’m talking fiction, now) around it is wonderful. Wasn’t one of the first motion pictures The Great Train Robbery?

3. Joey

February 16, 2017 at 12:55pm

Nice shots, interesting tidbits. I love being near the train tracks, hearing them all the time. I’ve only taken short train trips on local tracks. I’d like to take a REAL train trip. You’re not good advertising, but… Imma remain hopeful. 🙂
    Joey would love to share..#ThursdayDoors — Two for the Blue & GreenMy Profile

4. Deborah

February 16, 2017 at 9:52pm

I’ve only taken short trips by train. Both of them old Steamies that still run here in the Bay Area.
    I’ve always wanted to take a train trip with a dinning car, and sleeping cars. Of course I’ve romanticized the trip and train like the Orient Express. 🙂