Saying Goodbye to Jane

We met the summer between junior high and high school. We roomed together in college. We critiqued each other’s writing. We kept in touch by phone, then by letter, then by email. Once a month, I drove over to Louisville to have coffee, lunch, and beer with her. She was my most loyal and prolific commenter here on the blog. She painted this to test out some new paints, then threw it away. I rescued it.

Dragon by Claudia Jane Peyton

She introduced me to Beethoven’s Violin Concerto, Georgette Heyer’s Regency novels, Alice Cooper, Alice’s Restaurant, science fiction conventions, the Society for Creative Anachronism, and craft beer.

She got cancer. Had it removed. Decided against follow-up chemo. Her July scan was clear. Her September scan showed her too advanced for surgery, too advanced for any intervention. Yesterday, she died at home, with her brother Jimmy at her side. I had talked to her Friday and was going to visit her again tomorrow.

She’s gone.

I’ve been holding her troubles in my heart, not wanting to dump my angst into the already angst-ridden pool of the internet, but today I just want you to know why I’ve been neglecting visiting and commenting on my blog-buddies’ posts, and being generally terse.

This blog may go dark for a week or maybe not. Tipper may keep things going on Caturday. Maybe I’ll be back on track tomorrow.

Jane was fine with shuffling off this mortal coil. She was all, “I was going to have to think about knee replacement surgery. Now I don’t!” and “Hey! I never have to go to the dentist again!” and “I’ve always been afraid of Alzheimer’s. I get to miss that!” She kept apologizing to me because she was really okay with going, but she knew I’d be lonely without her. How could I not miss a person like that?

Here’s to my bestie. She will be sorely missed.

January of this year.

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Forget writing today. Cherish a friend.

One thought on “Saying Goodbye to Jane

1. Tony Acree

October 15, 2017 at 9:04am

If she were to comment on THIS blog post, I am sure it would be a comment with the richness of the painting you rescued: insightful, vibrant and full of color. It is not possible to have written a more moving tribute to a dear friend. We all grieve with your loss yet celebrate the wonderful tapestry her life-long friendship wove for you.

2. Pete Laberge

October 15, 2017 at 2:06pm

She sounds like she was awesome. My great condolences. I am glad you were there for her. I feel sorry never to have met this person. Maybe someday you will feel up to telling us more about your adventures. And I simply LOVE that painting. I’d love a good pic of it. Do not forget Jane. Keep her in your heart. LLAP. Take Care.

October 16, 2017 at 8:51am

Dear Pete, I will NEVER forget Jane. She’s such a large part of my life. She was my Star Trek buddy, among all other things. I’m emailing you a larger scan of the picture. It makes a great laptop wallpaper. 🙂
      Marian Allen would love to share..Saying Goodbye to JaneMy Profile

3. Alicia Butcher Ehrhardt

October 15, 2017 at 9:42pm

I tried sending you a direct email, to the ‘Reply to’ link in YOUR emails, and it said it’s not deliverable.

Your contact form doesn’t work.

I’m at, among others, abehrhardt [at] gmail. Could you send me one so I can reply?

Thanks.

October 16, 2017 at 8:54am

I can’t seem to get a contact form to work anymore, not even the one that came with this theme. I just took the form out and replaced it with an unclickable version of my email. I also emailed you directly.
      Marian Allen would love to share..Saying Goodbye to JaneMy Profile

4. Amanda Staley

October 16, 2017 at 11:39am

I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was an amazing person and will be missed by all who knew her. Cherish those special memories and she will always be with you.

October 16, 2017 at 11:47am

She certainly will, Amanda. Not much in my life I didn’t share with Jane, in talk, in experiences, in in-jokes. Stuff I turned her on to and stuff she turned me on to. She had a wide-ranging intellect, and was always surprising me with odd information.
      Marian Allen would love to share..The Week of Jane #amwritingMy Profile