Mom’s Marvelous Pantry #ThursdayDoors

I’m snowed in, y’all. #1 Daughter and her husband have their cars at the head of the drive, so we could get out if we had to, but the GothMobile is stuck in the basement garage, unable to make it up the 45-degree slope from the basement to the flat drive. Make a drive-in basement, they said. It’ll be convenient, they said.

ANYWAY, we can still walk to Mom’s twice a day to feed her cat, who defecated and urinated and bullied-my-cat-inated her way out of my house and back to Mom’s. So I took the opportunity to photograph this pantry, which is damn near Dr. Whovian.

Good-sized pantry unit. A drawer at the bottom for onions and one for pertaters.

Ooo! Lookit alla shelveses!

But wait! There’s more!

Each shelving unit pivots out with MORE SHELVES behind! !! !

Pretty empty. Mom hadn’t eaten by mouth for five years, so there’s only a few things there, in case I was with her and I got hungry. Some recycling in there, too, because everything hasta be somewhere.

Time was, though, it would have been packed to the gills. Time was, Grandpa was the cook. Good food. Good times.

A WRITING PROMPT BASED ON MY POST: What’s in your main character’s pantry? Has it changed over time? Why or why not?

One thought on “Mom’s Marvelous Pantry #ThursdayDoors

1. Dan Antion

January 18, 2018 at 9:18am

I like that. I’m guessing the Mrs. would find it overly complicated, but I like things that move and have hidden spaces and bonus shelves.

2. Ian Cross

January 18, 2018 at 11:35am

Wonderful. I bet these didn’t come from IKEA.

3. Holly Jahangiri

January 18, 2018 at 4:16pm

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! That is exactly the same – no, wait, it’s a double-wide, but otherwise exactly the same – as one my grandmother had. I used to hide in it during games of hide and seek, when I was still little and skinny and contortionist enough to fit into that back part behind all the fold-out shelving! I LOVED that thing! I wish I had one now. BEST cabinetry invention ever. Second best – does she also have those corner cabinets with the built-in lazy susans?

4. pm laberge

January 18, 2018 at 6:34pm

I am insanely jealous! That is AWESOME! Look at the WORKMANSHIP! One of these must be put in the Head Librarian’s Office! This IS a “Do not toss out, give away, sell, or trade” item!

I too, recall one of these from my very young youth. I cannot recall where. It was not at home, I know that much. Perhaps some not too often visited uncle, aunt, family friend, or neighbour? My sister worked for an upholsterer and refinisher. Could I have seen it there?

ANOTHER MYSTERY!

Chief Librarian Holly, kept the Magic Cabinet of Athbagnol in the corner of her office. Within its depths, were many secrets. And by pulling down on a secret latch, access to the labyrinth was available…..

But I am no author. So you two will have to use that smidgen…..

Sorry. I am sick as a dog, and my mind is working on 20%.

• pm laberge

January 20, 2018 at 4:31am

Well, of course! All Chief Planetary Librarians have a convenient nearby labyrinth!

Where else do you think they hide their fine cheeses? Their wine? Their crackers?
        Their spare set of shoes? A spare sweater?
        And labyrinths are useful to move about silently….. Unseen, unheard, undetected.
        Why Her underground car is even named: “El Cognito.” I think it is a Ford. (Sic: El Camino, recall?)

it is like that secret Presidential Tunnel dating back to FDR in NY.

I DO hope I did not violate the Official Secrets Act by letting the Cat our of the Bag.

• pm laberge

January 20, 2018 at 12:24pm

With me becoming a crotchety old man, and having been sick for 8 days from “the flu the shot did not cover”…. And with my bday in Monday, they erred. The guys in the white suits came instead. But, they let me go back out! Ha! Ha! Ha Ha! A 62 year old weirdo soon learns to play their game.

You will have to try again. But the black suited guys had a nice party at the Motorcycle clubhouse down the road.

Besides on the Chief Librarian’s Birthday, all the Books go down into the Labyrinth and throw a wild party. They play pin the tail on the donkey, get the Minotaur drunk (Easy to do with a glass on Baby Duck!), and have a bacon pancake dinner. They no longer set off fireworks though. Not since that episode a couple of years ago…. But I said I would not talk about that.

Perhaps they should not have let me out…….

January 19, 2018 at 8:43am

That pantry cost an INSANE amount of money, but Mom couldn’t resist it. It is totally cool, and it holds a Tardis-ful of food.

We’re supposed to thaw out over the weekend. Next time we have a snow event predicted, Imma park up in Mom’s carport.
      Marian Allen would love to share..A Laugh Or Two Or MANY #FridayRecommendsMy Profile

5. acflory

January 18, 2018 at 9:44pm

Oh My Goodness…is there such a thing as pantry envy? If there is, I’ve got it.
    Sorry you’re snowed in but…that pantry, you could just about live in that pantry. 🙂

6. Norm 2.0

January 19, 2018 at 9:42am

I will not show this post to my wife. She would kill for a pantry like that.
    Yes drive-down basement garages may seem like a good idea at the time but one good snow storm, or worse a heavy bout of freezing rain, and you find yourself cursing whoever invented the them.