Iroquois High School mumblety-mumblety Reunion #ThursdayDoors

Okay, it was my FIFTIETH, okay??? Happy???? I was like, “I graduated in ’68, and it’s been 50 years, and I am 68. That’s like magic.” No, that’s like I graduated when I was 18. I was okay at math, but it was 1968, okay? ‘Nuff said.

ANYWAY, there was an open house at the old school, and #4 Daughter, the amazing Sara Marian, wanted to go, ’cause she’s all kinds of amazing like that.

I got there first, and approached this very familiar sight.

The doors! The doors! They shine!

Oh, wait! Here’s the patch of grass where my writing/drama buddies and I stood every morning and talked about writing and acting while we waited for the doors to open. Fond memories. Truly fond memories.

Yakkety yakkety blah blah blah

Okay, so here’s a gallery of pictures (with captions) and some more doors.

And so we bid a fond farewell to our dear old Alma Mater.

This has been part of the Thursday Doors linkup, hosted by Norm Frampton, photographer extraordinaire. Visit his site, enjoy his wonderful photographs, click on the blue froggy link, and enter a world of doors.

A WRITING PROMPT BASED ON MY POST: Send your main character back to a place in their past. Do they remember it at all? With what (if any) emotions?

One thought on “Iroquois High School mumblety-mumblety Reunion #ThursdayDoors

1. Dan Antion

June 7, 2018 at 7:45am

That was an interesting year to be graduating. My brother graduated in ’68. I was happy to stay behind school walls for a few more years.

June 7, 2018 at 12:01pm

I went to my fifth and tenth, and haven’t been back until this one. The Open House was a must, and then there was a luncheon with just my graduating class. I would have gone to the Grand Reunion of all classes (we were the first graduating class, so our 50th reunion was the anniversary of the FIRST graduation of the school), but it was on the Belle of Louisville. I don’t do parties in locked rooms, which a paddlewheel boat cruising essentially is. If I can’t leave when I’m ready to leave, I don’t go. But, if it had been held where a quick getaway had been possible, I would have gone to the 50th.
      Marian Allen recently posted..Iroquois High School mumblety-mumblety Reunion #ThursdayDoors

2. janet

June 7, 2018 at 3:53pm

I graduated (high school) in ’71 and have been back for my 40th and 45th reunions. They were more fun than high school was. πŸ™‚ (Although I hasten to add that it was, for the most part, just fine.)

janet

June 8, 2018 at 8:26am

I enjoyed high school, because I fell in with a bunch of other writers. We were also the first graduating class, so we didn’t have any upper classmen giving us grief. I like to think we refrained from giving underclassmen grief as they followed us. I hope I’m not mistaken in that. πŸ™‚
      Marian Allen recently posted..Butter-Coated Parmesan-Crusted Kitchen Shoes #FridayRecommends

3. Norm 2.0

June 7, 2018 at 4:15pm

Lots of good memories from that event I’m sure πŸ™‚

June 8, 2018 at 8:30am

Yes! I immediately gravitated to one woman and joined her and her husband at the lunch table. When we introduced ourselves, they were both people I had liked a lot in high school, especially Yvonne. πŸ™‚ Some of the classes have all kept in touch over the years, and some of the people in our class, but my besties were writers who happened to be a year or two behind me. I’m still friends with them, but haven’t kept up with my own class. So, yes, it was great fun! πŸ™‚

4. Alicia Butcher Ehrhardt

June 8, 2018 at 9:45am

You have me wondering if I’ll ever see the Preparatoria Insurgentes again – I have no idea whether they even go in for American-style reunions. In any case, no one who ever went there knows where I am!

Same year (68) and same age. It was a LONG time ago. I can still remember playing chess on the planters, with all the guys lined up behind whoever I was playing, giving him advice. By the end, I’d beaten every one of them at least once. No, I don’t remember how many losses that took. I’m ‘terca’ – stubborn.

June 9, 2018 at 11:28am

It was a blast! #4 Daughter wanted to go, and we had a great time wandering around the old school. Then we met her feller at the place my school year was gathering and WE had fun socializing. Then my old schoolfellows trickled in, and I joined them. They all remembered me! “Oh, yeah, you were that little nerdy girl with the wild imagination. Always writing something. What are you doing now?” “I’m a published author.” “…Famous??” “Apparently not.” Lol!
      Marian Allen recently posted..A Bear of a #Caturday

5. joey

June 10, 2018 at 4:58pm

Cool. I don’t go to the reunions. I live in the same place, though, so I have accidental reunions aplenty. I also keep in touch with the guy who plans the reunions, and he is full of news, so kinda, what’s the point? I see the people I enjoy seeing. I graduated with 327 people, and I reckon I really, really liked about 10. Our girls went where we go, which is where The Mister’s husband went, so that’s nice.
    Your math had me like WHA!? but I worked it out. Phew!
    Decent doors, but I dig the memorial emblem!

June 10, 2018 at 5:45pm

That sounds like a good plan. But, um, The Mister’s husband? I thought YOU were The Mister’s husband. Or something. None of my business, really. ANYWAY, I’m on a couple of Facebook groups for my old school, and get some news that way. But I enjoyed seeing people, some of whom had flown across the country to make this 50th reunion, 50th anniversary of the first graduating class.
      Marian Allen recently posted..A Pop in the Nose #SampleSunday

• joey

June 12, 2018 at 6:34pm

That’s crazy! My husband’s FATHER. Gah. If my husband has a husband, I got some real problems!

6. Gordon

June 10, 2018 at 7:57pm

I have to say, you’re certainly a youngster cause I’m a year behind you. I miss many reunions cause they are typically in Hawaii where I graduated but I have been to many now that the milestone ones are held in Las Vegas jointly with 3 other high schools (the locals like to travel to Vegas and it’s a 1.5 hr flight from CA to get there to see old friends). Plans are in the making for the big one but the practice parties are in session for that event.

June 11, 2018 at 8:57am

Hee hee! Practice parties sound like fun! Our school has get-togethers once a month, I think, but I don’t drive if I can help it, except for biggies like this 50th. And, at that, I only went to the events that were in the day. Home by dark, is what I like. Not much of a partier — never was.
      Marian Allen recently posted..Prince Ring Could Be Worse #DealMeIn2018