Yesterday was food day here, but I had a request for this recipe, so here it is. WARNING: Contains many cans (tins, if you’re British).
- Fantastic World Foods vegan Taco Filling mix
- can of chili beans or kidney beans
- can of diced tomatoes or fresh diced tomatoes
- 2 small cans of tomato sauce
- water as desired
- cooked broken spaghetti — YES, SPAGHETTI! This is MY recipe, and we eat spaghetti in our chili around here!
If you prefer to leave out the Taco Filling mix and use your own spices, begin by heating a little oil in the bottom of a saucepan and toasting the spices and some chopped onion until the spices are fragrant and the onion is translucent and softish.
Okay, I don’t know how much “meat” or spice you like in your chili. The Taco Filling mix has onions and spices in it, so the more you use, the spicier and “meatier” the chili will be. Reconstitute as much of the mix as you want for your chili. Add everything else EXCEPT the spaghetti. Serve that on the side so people who go, “Ewww! SPAGHETTI IN CHILI??” can leave it out. Also, if you put the spaghetti IN the chili before serving, the spaghetti gets all bloated and mooshy and then it really is ewww. You can get canned chili beans of various heats.
So that was what we had for supper last night, along with corn bread and apple salad.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or plain milk with 1/2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 egg
Melt margarine in skillet. Combine all other ingredients. Pour into skillet. Cover. Cook on medium until bottom of bread is toasty and top is dry. Slide bread out onto a plate and invert plate over skillet to brown other side of bread.
- apple, peeled, cored and diced
- celery, diced
- mayonnaise (or salad dressing, if you must)
WRITING PROMPT: How responsive is your main character to requests? Does it matter who does the requesting or what the request entails, or is your main character always OF COURSE or NO?