D is for Dairy-Free Dump Cake and a Deal

Some people are vegan and some people are lactose-intolerant and some people are watching their cholesterol and some people just Don’t Do Dairy. Well, this is a Dessert you’ll find Delightful and Delicious.

Dump Cake is something we used to have, a family tradition, like chili mac and fish from St. Cecilia’s on Friday. Back in the day, we made it with butter, of course, but now we use vegan margarine so our vegan daughter can have some. Please feel free to use butter, if you prefer. Or coconut oil. Or lard, I don’t care, suit yourself. I’m not the shortening police.

Dairy-Free Dump Cake

• 2 cans of fruit and/or fruit pie filling
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 stick vegan margarine
  • nuts of any kind, if you like

Butter a square cake pan. Dump in the contents of the fruit/pie filling. If you use two different kinds of fruit (many prefer pineapple and cherry — ick), dump in one kind and spread it around, then dump in the other kind and spread it on top, trying not to stir them together. Then dump the cake mix on top. Cut the butter into slices and cover the top of the cake mix. The nuts can be dumped anywhere in these layers, from the bottom to the top.

Bake at 350F for one hour.

How easy is that? Way, that’s how.

Now the Deal: Every Friday of April, I’m offering a free download of TURTLE FEATHERS, my new collection of animal stories. The giveaway begins at midnight Thursday night and ends at midnight on Friday. For your convenience, you can read excerpts from every story in the collection by clicking here.

WRITING PROMPT: Write a 100-word piece using the words turtle, feathers, and deal.

One thought on “D is for Dairy-Free Dump Cake and a Deal

April 4, 2012 at 8:16am

Glad to be of help, Jean! I frequently post vegan/vegetarian recipes, so you might want to look at my recipe tab up there above the posts, and check out the Foods category in my blogroll for vegetarian sites. VEGANS EAT PENCIL SHAVINGS is a particular favorite of mine. πŸ™‚

April 4, 2012 at 10:38am

Ooo! I’m at the library right now, waiting for Mom so we can go grocery shopping. Imma come visit you when I get home. πŸ™‚

1. Bodie P

April 4, 2012 at 9:47am

We used to do something like this, but we actually mixed up the cake mix, put LOTS of butter in the bottom of the pan, sprinkled brown sugar thickly onto it, then spread pineapple on it, then poured the cake batter over the top. And when it was done we turned it out of the pan and voila, a cake with a lovely mapley carmelly pineappley topping.
    Bodie P would love to share..Just In Time For Mother’s Day!My Profile

2. Sarah Reece

April 4, 2012 at 10:02am

The Dump Cake recipe is so incredibly easy to prepare and tastes well too. When the cake is ready, you may whip some cream and pour on top of it, before serving. That makes it better for me…. πŸ™‚
    Sarah Reece would love to share..Hostmonster 3.95My Profile

April 4, 2012 at 10:40am

Oh, um yum, YES, especially if you put some sugar and vanilla in that whipped cream. Mmmmmm…. Of course, then it isn’t vegan anymore. πŸ˜‰

April 4, 2012 at 10:44am

Yeah, quick and easy is my thing, for sure! Check out my recipes, especially the ones called Alligator Sandwiches — they’re snappy. πŸ˜‰

April 4, 2012 at 3:23pm

LOL! I thought my grandpa and I were the only people who said “turkle” for “turtle”! Thanks for the memory. πŸ™‚

April 4, 2012 at 3:24pm

Easy is the way I like my recipes, Clarissa! πŸ˜‰ Check out my Recipes tab for more, under Alligator Sandwiches.

April 4, 2012 at 3:26pm

Thanks, Wanda! You, too — I’ll be over to visit you as soon as my home internet is back up. I’m grabbing a couple of minutes at the library. πŸ™‚

3. nutschell

April 4, 2012 at 1:20pm

A dairy free cake! who knew? must try this recipe sometime.Great A-Z post! Nutschellwww.thewritingnut.com

April 4, 2012 at 3:27pm

I know! I love finding good vegan recipes that I can offer our vegan daughter, and dairy- and/or gluten-free recipes for our friends with allergies and sensitivities.

Be over to see you soon!

4. Froster

June 11, 2012 at 4:52am

Hello Marian! Like your interesting writing style of using letter to make the title!! Your suggested dish will be warm welcomed by the kids as they (generally) don’t like to have milk. Thanks for the recipe of ‘Dairy-Free Dump Cake’.

June 11, 2012 at 9:07am

Thanks! This post was part of the A-to-Z blog-a-day challenge. I hope your kids enjoy the Dump Cake. It’s very easy to make, and you can use so many various ingredients, it’s never the same thing twice!