FROG Jam

No, this is not a new product from those wonderful folks who brought you the Crunchy Frog choccy. This is a jam from Hinton’s Orchard & Farm Market near Hodgenville, Kentucky.

frogjamOur #2 daughter and her husband stopped there on a visit to his family and brought us back a couple of jams, one of which was FROG Jam. This is made even more delightfully strange by the fact that they’re both vegetarians.

It’s called FROG jam because it’s principle ingredients are Figs, Raspberries, Oranges, and Ginger.

How does it taste? Well, to be mathematical about it:

(figs + raspberries) + (oranges + ginger) = -3

Seeds? Dear lord, you might as well eat sand with marmalade on it. But the thought is very much appreciated, especially since I know #2 daughter is, for some reason, very partial to seedy jam.

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: What does your main character like to put on toast in the morning?

This entry was posted in Food. Tagged .

One thought on “FROG Jam

January 3, 2013 at 10:38am

I’m Not too big a fan of seedy foods, either.
    BUT—
    I love raspberries. And I love strawberries. The jams are just–ridiculously good. SO–you have to find the canners who can balance out the seeds with gooey scrumptiousness.
    Frog Jam. Isn’t that the name of a band?

January 3, 2013 at 10:45am

Frog Jam DOES sound like the name of a band! lol!

I love strawberries, with or without seeds. When I make jam/jelly/preserves, I usually strain out the seeds and stir a bunch into the jar I give #2 daughter. That way, we’re all happy! 🙂
      Marian Allen would love to share..Gift Card and DragonsMy Profile

2. Shane Curtis

January 3, 2013 at 7:26pm

Hi Marian you know what I laugh at myself cos I thought that this Jan was made by frog and first come to my mind is that it is “Yucky”. By the way I was wrong and the Jam looks great. 🙂
    Shane Curtis would love to share..Timber Sliding DoorsMy Profile

3. Kristine

January 7, 2013 at 6:45pm

At first I was like “WHAT THE— FROG?!” Then realized I was wrong. Thank you for sharing this with us.

4. Kelly

January 8, 2013 at 12:29am

You got me at the title. I was already starting to think about frog innards swimming around in the bottle. Odd concoction though, never have tried figs with fruits. Interesting really.
    Kelly would love to share..Glasgow to Edinburgh RemovalsMy Profile

5. Stacey

January 8, 2013 at 4:15am

I have never tried Figs, but this jam really looks interesting (aside from the fact it’s called FROG jam, you got me there) Hopefully I can give it a try one of these days.

6. Sandra

January 10, 2013 at 12:14am

I’ve tried a different sort of jam with figs and I definitely loved it. I’m sure to love this too! It has two of my favorite fruits in it. Who wouldn’t want to have a sliver of it?

January 10, 2013 at 8:06am

~MomGoth raises her hand~ Figs — Phooey! lol! My mother still teases me by offering me a Fig Newton because I loathed them as a child. 🙂
      Marian Allen would love to share..SAGE!My Profile