Who Cares About FIREFLY?

~MomGoth holds up hand so high she nearly dislocates shoulder.~

The best part about Firefly was that it was cancelled after eleven episodes, before it had a chance to get sucky (i.e. to go in a direction I didn’t personally like). SERENITY, the follow-up movie, for example, does so not get the MomGoth seal of approval.

Three members of the cast of Firefly will be at Fandom Fest this weekend: Adam Baldwin (the man they call Jayne), Jewel Staite (li’l Kaylee), and Alan Tudyk (Wash).

Why do those of us who love it love it so? Partly because the run was so short it’s easy to remember the trivia. Partly because the acting, scripts, music, and production values were so darn good. Partly because it was moving and funny. I started watching it because Nathan Fillion was such a cutie, but I’ve watched it over and over because the female characters are so strong and because Jayne is a neverending source of amusement.

Here’s the Wiki about it.

Here’s the link to Hulu, where you can watch it for free.

Here’s some great news: There will soon be a Firefly online game! Will I play? Probably not. There aren’t enough hours in the day as it is.

So will I get autographs from the Firefly crew? Are you kidding me? They want money for them! I ain’t payin’ nobody to scribble a little bitta ink on some piece of paper — less’n it’s a check. Know what I mean? — Thank you, Jayne, that will do.

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: What autograph would you pay to get from the living person?

One thought on “Who Cares About FIREFLY?

1. Michael Williams

July 26, 2013 at 7:36am

There’s also an RPG that’s up and running through Margaret Weis Productions. My good friend’s company; they do superb work.

July 29, 2013 at 12:05pm

Got a link, Michael? That sounds AWESOME! I met L. Andrew Cooper this weekend. He said to give you his best regards. Wish you had been there. Missed you and Rhonda. 🙁
      Marian Allen would love to share..I Haz Returned!My Profile

• Michael Williams

July 29, 2013 at 5:47pm

Sure! You can read about it at http://www.margaretweis.com

Would have liked to see you at FandomFest, but since we didn’t go there, it couldn’t happen. Are you headed for GenCon in mid-August?

July 29, 2013 at 6:29pm

No. August weekends are booked, one way or another. My next con will be The Princess Bride Experience the last weekend in August, then Context.
          Marian Allen would love to share..I Haz Returned!My Profile

2. Cairn Rodrigues

July 26, 2013 at 8:17am

I loved Firefly, but the full Whedon experience lies in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The Scoobies, the Joss-speak (Love makes you do the wacky) AND Nathan Fillion (I still blame him for poking out Xander’s eye).

The best thing about Firefly, for me, was the return of My Bodyguard. There’s your film trivia prompt for the day 😉
    Cairn Rodrigues would love to share..Lightning in a BottleMy Profile

3. Scott Fornwall

July 26, 2013 at 8:28am

Television shows don’t get a long enough try before they get sent into cold storage. If a show doesn’t get some kind of ‘magical following’ after two episodes…it’s gone. I know you say that it was short and sweet, but think of all the characters that you won’t get to know more about…all the stories that will never be told.

Two TV shows that ended too soon for me: ‘Space 1999’, and ‘Space: Above and Beyond’
    Notice the theme? Yeah…I’m a Scifi geek.

Thank you for your thoughts.

4. coffeecupkat

July 26, 2013 at 8:47am

Love me some Firefly, although I was late to the game. :/

On my business travels, I do occasionally say “I wanna go to the crappy town where I’m a folk hero” just to see if anyone catches the reference.

And at Comic Con, I managed to get an Avengers tee & a poster signed by the cast of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Including Samuel L. Jackson. Didn’t have to pay for it, except in pain and sweat from working my butt off in the Marvel booth selling tee shirts and iPhone cases. 😉
    coffeecupkat would love to share..Playing with Point of ViewMy Profile

July 29, 2013 at 12:09pm

Sounds like you had a blast at Comic Con! Yeah, I didn’t find Firefly until it was done done and gone. But it will ALWAYS be with us through fandom, right? You gorram bet I’m right!
      Marian Allen would love to share..I Haz Returned!My Profile

July 26, 2013 at 9:30am

I might pay for Stan Lee.
    WAIT! He’s going to be there!
    Oh? Pay the going rate?
    Naw.

6. liz

July 26, 2013 at 2:54pm

Love love love firefly and yes, I was one who saw the promos and thought “oh, its just another space western” when it came out on syfy oh so long ago & sadly, didn’t watch. I discovered it later on. Thank gawd for hulu! Lol

July 29, 2013 at 12:12pm

Oh, Liz, I have an ex-SIL who updates to the newest vid-viewing technology as soon as it comes out, so I “inherited” a pack of Firefly dvd’s as soon as Blue-Ray issued the new version. 🙂
      Marian Allen would love to share..I Haz Returned!My Profile

July 27, 2013 at 9:10am

Firefly: I LOVED the rustically poetic speech and the way Nathan Filion totally SOLD it.