Sara Marian is my favorite new writer and THE LIFE AND DEATH (BUT MOSTLY THE DEATH) OF ERICA FLYNN is my favorite new book.
The picture immediately below is a photo of the original artwork done by the amazing Zakary Kendall.
A modern, down-to-earth skeptic like Erica never expected to end up in an afterlife somewhere between Greek mythology and quantum theory gone haywire. Despite the allure of the Underworld and a happy reunion with her deceased Uncle Jeff, Erica can’t rest in peace until she resolves her ante-mortem argument with her husband, Dominic. Against all advice (which is how Erica usually does things), she pits herself against monsters, mortality, and an angry god of the dead, determined to make things right.
So one wonders: What’s the down-and-dirty, streetwise skinny on avoiding rookie mistakes in the hereafter?
5 Things Every Newlydead Should Know About Hades
1. Don’t drink the water. Much safer to stick to alcohol or milkshakes. Further explanation would involve spoilers, so I’ll leave it at that….
2. Be wary of large groups of kids. Their version of reality relies on cartoon physics and lots of explosions.
3. Be careful what you wish for. Reality is what you make it in the Underworld.
4. Revenge is a dish best served live. If you were waiting till the afterlife to get back at someone, you might as well give that idea up on arrival–you can’t hurt anyone but a masochist here.
4. No hunting, no fishing, no trespassing. These aren’t rules, that’s just death.
5. The Underworld is like a grave – what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
Hrmm…. Where does a mind like that come from?
In her own words:
Sara Marian was raised in the woods by wild English teachers (Marian Allen being one of them), and has been writing for as long as she can remember. Her novel, The Life and Death (but mostly the death) of Erica Flynn, was released 2/18/14 by 3 Fates Press. Sara is pursuing a degree in anthropology from University of Louisville (minoring in Russian studies), with plans for a career in archaeology.
3 Fates Press is delighted and honored to have published your first book. We’re eagerly awaiting the sequel. Thank you, Sara Marian.
Follow Sara Marian’s blog.
A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Imagine a character in the underworld who immediately messes up on one of the rules. Or more than one.