Alice. Also: Alice A-to-Z Letter A

I’ll get to Alice in a minute. But this is the first of the month, so I have a new mini-micro-flash story on the Hot Flashes page. Go read it. I’ll wait.

Okay. Now, it’s an odd happenstance that both my Alices were introduced to me in the same year by the same person: my pal Jane Peyton, author of When Push Comes to Shove: Callie London’s Vampire Adventures. I can’t remember which Alice I met first, but now I present them to you. You may or may not already know them.

Alice #1

Alice Cooper is a guy, very deliberately edgy and kinda scary (at the time, anyway, in the — what — 60’s? (If you can remember them, you weren’t there.) Jane and I have many memories of Cooper concerts, near-death experiences and all, although Cooper himself saved Jane’s life at one of them. Good times. Good times. Cooper has also been in an episode of Monk as not-the-guy, and he does commercials. Here’s one:

Alice #2

Alice

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

The other Alice is Alice’s Restaurant Massacree by Arlo Guthrie. The song is around 20 minutes long, so I don’t expect A-to-Zers to have time to listen to it today, but save the link and check it out when you have time. You’ll be glad you did! Here’s the original and here’s a more recent, retrospective one, done in concert.

Remember: you wanna end war an’ stuff, ya gotta sing LOUD.

Today is Tuesday, so I’m posting at Fatal Foodies on the topic of an actual restaurant called Alice’s Restaurant.

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: What happened to your main character 50 years ago?

One thought on “Alice. Also: Alice A-to-Z Letter A

April 1, 2014 at 8:29am

Love the Alice commercial! I’m shocked SHOCKED I haven’t seen it before!
    I’m not sure of my happiest Alice memory, BUT the first time I heard Billion Dollar Babies, and realized sweet peaceful DONOVAN was singing the twist off their little heads chorus, I did officially freak!

• Jane

April 2, 2014 at 11:51am

Oh my YES! Alice was quite the hero. The girl they plucked out of the crowd was worse off than me, but the barricade was getting ready to collapse, and YEOW! it was getting hairy.

2. Dianne Lynn Gardner

April 1, 2014 at 10:53am

Do I ever remember Alice!! Boy howdy. Thanks for jogging my memory. You are a busy lady, look at all that you are writing! Nice meeting up with you again and as always, great blog!
    Dianne Lynn Gardner recently posted..Fantasy Creatures from A to Z

April 1, 2014 at 1:49pm

Thanks for stopping by, Dianne, and for the kind words about the blog. It does look like I’ve been busy, doesn’t it? Just goes to show: a sedentary stone gathers lots of moss. lol
      Marian Allen recently posted..Free Reads

3. Cathy Olliffe-Webster

April 1, 2014 at 11:22am

First of all, nice micro-flash. Putting hope in knitting. Nice work, Marian. And everybody knows Alice Cooper is a guy, right? RIGHT? Young uns, today, I’ll tell ya…
    Cathy Olliffe-Webster recently posted..A is for Angus

4. alberta ross

April 1, 2014 at 7:05pm

Fraid I was never a fan of Alice – I know shameful of me – also ‘fraid I do remember the 60s because shh don’t tell – I never did the drug thing – I was busy exploring world:) nice start yo yhe challenge:)
    alberta ross recently posted..Ginger in the milk and chilli in the jam

April 1, 2014 at 9:10pm

Alberta, I would never have been an Alice fan if Jane hadn’t made me listen to the lyrics. The messages in his songs are SO different that his presentation, it’s surreal! And don’t tell, but I’m not really a stoner; I just play one on the internet. lol
      Marian Allen recently posted..Fuchsia. The Color, Not the Character

April 1, 2014 at 9:12pm

Monti, Alice always had a great sense of humor, and never took himself too seriously. That’s part of his appeal to me. I didn’t come up with that 60s comment; I read it somewhere and it struck me funny. ~grin~
      Marian Allen recently posted..The Crafty Lois Winston

5. jean baldridge yates

April 3, 2014 at 9:18am

Now I have found the right place to comment–so glad! Your entries are great!!! xox jean
    one of my fave songs (along with Alice’s Restaurant) was and remains “Working Man” which Alice Cooper immortalized on the Muppets show. It is a very romantic song! xox jean
    jean baldridge yates recently posted..BLOGGING FROM A TO Z APRIL CHALLENGE the letter C