Paella almost always has meat and/or seafood, but this one doesn’t, because I got it out of Betty Crocker‘s Easy Meatless Dishes, one of those little two-up saddle stitch books they sell at the checkout counter at the grocery.
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked regular long grain rice
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 or 3 drops red pepper sauce [I used NONE]
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (6 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic in oil 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp-tender.
- Stir in broth and rice. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and summer 15 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook uncovered 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice and peas are tender.
Good, but better with more onions and garlic, and even better with seitan “chicken” strips in it.
A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: A character finds something useful in a checkout-line publication.