CoryDoors — Come As You Are — Really! #ThursdayDoors

Dis my church, y’all.

YES, they let me in. NO, the ceiling doesn’t collapse. WTF, be nice!

This is Corydon Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), and how cool is it, a church with a parenthetical phrase as part of its name? Way, that’s how!CCCDoCThe door is around the corner and up a walk. I haz a key.CCCDeDo Up there atop the door is one of our new stained glass windows. Here it is, where you can see it better.

CCCPanelJust inside the door, where we greet people, is this display. The display changes every so often, but this is here, now. The glasswork is done by Zimmerman Art Glass in Corydon, and is made out of scraps from our new windows. Nifty!

CCCPrettiesHere’s some more of what our kids used to call “neat ka-teet holy junk” behind a glass door. The round thing is a glass Christmas ornament, also made by Zimmerman’s, out of scraps from our old windows.CCCFancyStuffBelow that is another cabinet — with more doors — holding a shelf of various iterations of the church cookbook. I don’t know the date of the first one, but we were founded in 1833, so it can’t be older than that. I have some recipes in the most recent one.
CCCCookbooksThis history is stolen quoted from our website:

Our church was founded in 1833 by four women . We have a letter written by Elizabeth Spencer, one of the women, in which she talks about leaving the church where she grew up. She said that she met a pastor traveling through the area who introduced her to the idea that she could read the Bible for herself and think about what it meant. She and three other women were baptized by immersion and through much prayer founded Corydon Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Within the first few months, they had 20 members – 18 white women, one white man and one black man.

This is part of Norm Frampton’s Thursday Doors link-up. Hop over to his blog, see what he found to share this week, and follow the link at the bottom of his post to a list of participants. It’s fun!

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Does your main character go to church? Did they ever? If they did, but don’t now, do they ever miss it? Answer for your character, now, not for yourself.

One thought on “CoryDoors — Come As You Are — Really! #ThursdayDoors

February 25, 2016 at 10:02am

I really PREFER the old kind of windows like we had at Grace Lutheran in the West End of Louisville when I was growing up (the windows are still there, but it’s a Catholic church, now. What goes around, comes around — Lutheran in-joke, there). Those were pictures, not abstracts. Although all our windows are growing on me, the abstract as well as the representational.
      Marian Allen would love to share..TURTLE FEATHERSMy Profile

1. Carol Preflatish

February 25, 2016 at 8:59am

I didn’t know that was your church. I have tried to get a good picture of that round stained-glass window multiple times when the sun shines on it and it never comes out like I want it. It’s a beautiful window.

February 25, 2016 at 10:05am

Yeah! Wave next time you go by! ~grin~ I had to go inside to take a picture of that panel above the door, then take the picture into a photo-manipulation program (The GIMP, because it’s freeeeee!) and mirror-flip it so the letters are right way round. 😀
      Marian Allen would love to share..SIDESHOW IN THE CENTER RINGMy Profile

2. norm 2.0

February 25, 2016 at 9:20am

Love the stained glass too. As Dan said as long as you quote and/or give proper attribution for the content it is not stealing.
    Sadly for some folks who don’t seem too familiar with this concept there really should be an internet police – but I think that might just be my grumpy old guy coming out 😉
    norm 2.0 would love to share..Thursday Doors – February 25, 2015My Profile

February 25, 2016 at 10:10am

That’s one of the reasons I like Pinterest: They police themselves pretty well, and — at least as far as I can tell — there’s a culture there among the users to share from first sources.

Would it be kosher for me to do a Window Edition of Thursday Doors and show our pretty windows off? I can always do it on another day, if it would be pushing the envelope too far. If I’m ever doing that, please don’t hesitate to let me know. I don’t get sniffy over things like that. 🙂
      Marian Allen would love to share..THE KING OF CHEROKEE CREEKMy Profile

• norm 2.0

February 25, 2016 at 3:56pm

I have absolutely no objections to others running architecture inspired photo challenges on Thursdays or any other day for that matter; or are you talking about a one-time thing?
        Either way thanks for asking. Feel free to go for it, it could be fun. And after all: Your blog – your rules. Let me know if I can help.
        You should know however that there’s someone else from Thursday Doors (Ludwig) who’s trying to get a Monday Windows thing going already.
        norm 2.0 would love to share..Thursday Doors – February 25, 2015My Profile

February 25, 2016 at 10:15pm

I meant just a one-off. I’ll just post the windows on another day and maybe link to it when I do that Thursday’s door post, in case any dooristas want to see them. 🙂
          Marian Allen would love to share..Free ReadsMy Profile

3. Shelly

February 25, 2016 at 1:08pm

I love seeing the inside of churches! I grew up Catholic and attended Catholic parochial school, definitely had my fill of church to last a lifetime, but I still enjoy visiting churches. I love those old church cookbooks too!

That must not be the original 1833 church building?
    Shelly would love to share..Rice Cooker Chinese Fried Rice RecipeMy Profile

February 26, 2016 at 8:16am

Love the antiquity of your church-line. Such a fabulous story.

Oh, and bright shiny colorful things, too. *SHINY*

February 26, 2016 at 8:50am

Yes, I have to come early to church because I block the door, looking at all the jackdaw pretties. heh