CoryDoors – Emery’s Premium Ice Cream – #ThursdayDoors

I don’t always go out for ice cream. But, when I do, it’s to Emery’s.

Emery’s began in New Albany, Indiana — their web site is unclear as to whether that was in the 1950s or during the Great Depression. It was bought and moved, lock, stock, and soda fountain, to Corydon, Indiana, just so it would be convenient for me. Okay, I’m lying. But it did move.

Don’t pay any attention to the menu or display of ice cream flavors on the web site — it’s a big fat lie. Truth is, you never know exactly what they’re going to have until you get there. They’re always concocting amazing combinations like chocolate caramel sea salt fudge and who knows what?

They also haven’t updated the pictures; they remodeled and repainted and it’s bee-YOU-tee-ful!

Side.

EmorysSideFront.

EmorysFrontFront door. Note the happy cow on her hind legs. I don’t know why the door/sidelights are so cockamamie. Maybe one big door and one sidelight, altered in a remodel somewhere down the line?

EmorysDoorInside the front door is part of that original stock.

EmorysCokesThe candy is fresh, though.

EmorysCandyNot PC but oh, so nostalgic!

EmorysCigsThe flavors are written on cardboard and stuck up onto the menu, because they keep changing!

EmorysCounterThis has been part of Norm Frampton’s Thursday Doors link-up. Visit Norm’s site and see his wonderful posts, then click on the little blue frog button to connect to dooristas from around the world!

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: What sweet treat triggers nostalgia in your character?

One thought on “CoryDoors – Emery’s Premium Ice Cream – #ThursdayDoors

August 18, 2016 at 9:16am

I love the neon YUM YUM sign in the window!
    That is truth in advertising.

2. Roy A Ackerman, PhD, EA

August 18, 2016 at 12:31pm

When I lived in Cambridge (MA), Ann Arbor (MI), and Charlottesville (VA), we too had wonderful, local ice creameries. (Yes, there are a few in Alexandria [one that is not technically a ice creamery], but they lack the details like your photos show.
    Thanks for reminding of how things were great.
    Roy A Ackerman, PhD, EA would love to share..CIIIMy Profile

August 19, 2016 at 8:23am

They have Nehi and Grapette drinks, which triggered a memory for my husband. He said Grapette used to be 8 ounces while Nehi was 10 or 12 ounces. After a hard day playing or working, he would go to the store and the hard choice would be between a little Grapette with a powerful grape flavor or a big Nehi with a diluted flavor. He said they “usually went with quantity over quality.”
      Marian Allen would love to share..Find the Best Currency in the World #FridayRecommends #amwriting #BookMarketingMy Profile

3. Candy

August 19, 2016 at 12:08am

You’ve made my mouth water! πŸ˜‰

4. Vicky

August 19, 2016 at 5:57am

What a lovely building, great door and some seriously inviting treats inside….

5. Amy

August 19, 2016 at 10:37am

It looks like a tasty stop!! πŸ™‚ – Amy

6. Deborah

August 19, 2016 at 3:37pm

Miam, miam! It looks like a great place to get a treat.

Oh, those candy cigarettes, and the soda cooler took me back to my childhood to visiting the Mom and Pop shop around the corner to spend my weekly allowance. I saved a few cents then blew the rest on candy, and a freshly made chocolate milkshake. Outside on one side of the store they also ran Hamburger/Shake joint with the best chocolate milkshake evah! πŸ™‚ Waxing nostalgic per your post and prompt.
    Deborah would love to share..33/52 Thursday DoorsMy Profile

7. Gordon

August 20, 2016 at 3:30pm

Sweet! door shots. Wish I had an ice cream cone now. πŸ™‚

8. Louie Anthony

November 18, 2016 at 9:06am

That’s a really nice shop, where I can binge my sweet tooth πŸ™‚