SPAM: the Kind You Eat. The Kind I Eat, Anyway.

I haven’t had SPAM in decades, but I used to eat it a lot. I bought a can last month, and finally opened it.

How SPAM Has Changed

I remember the block of meat glopping out, coated with translucent glop like the juice that congeals when you put your baked ham in the refrigerator. No glop, now. I miss the glop.

Probably because the glop is missing, possibly because there seems to be less fat in the product, it doesn’t brown and crisp the way I remember.

How SPAM Is the Same

I still like it. It tastes kind of hammy and kind of pork-roast-y. Too salty, but they have a low-sodium version I might try the next time I buy a can, forty-odd years from now.

How We Et It

Spam and eggs, o’ course. Classic.

I’m posting today at Fatal Foodies about a food even less appetizing than this.

A WRITING PROMPT FROM ME TO YOU: Your character eats an “unappetizing” food and loves it.

One thought on “SPAM: the Kind You Eat. The Kind I Eat, Anyway.

1. dan antion

October 16, 2018 at 8:10am

I do like Spam (with eggs of course) but I haven’t had it in years. I was surprised to see that they have a bunch of varieties.

2. Tammy L Breitweiser

October 16, 2018 at 10:02am

No glop??!! I cannot even imagine.
    My mom used to fry it for my dad super thin…I did not care for it.
    Later (I don’t remember now where…) I had it sliced thicker and liked it much better!
    I haven’t thought about SPAM in years!
    Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

October 17, 2018 at 7:51am

I loved that gelatin! So flavory. Imagine my disappointment. And this wasn’t even “SPAM Lite”. *sigh*

3. Barb Greer

October 16, 2018 at 1:10pm

My dear friend, now I know why you are weird – you actually like and eat SPAM. I literally HATE SPAM.

October 17, 2018 at 7:54am

I do believe I’m in the minority, but I’m by no means alone. lol! ~makes note never to serve SPAM to Barb Greer~

• Barb Greer

October 17, 2018 at 9:52am

Thank you. I will take you up on the Benedictine, though. LOVE it.

4. pm laberge

October 16, 2018 at 4:07pm

In honour of this post. I shall have Holiday Brand. Spam is horribly expensive over here. And I have no Klick, or Kam. So Holiday, eggs, toast and beans. Or corn, not sure what.

OIOIOINNNK!

But, I, of course, cannot confirm that I am not a spammer!
    After all, what do you call someone who eats Spam?

October 17, 2018 at 7:55am

“Holiday, eggs, toast and beans.” Sounds like a feast to me! And do you butter the toast and put the beans over it? That’s my groove.

• pm laberge

October 17, 2018 at 9:10am

The toast would be buttered…
        The eggs fried or scrambled, and the Holiday meat fried.
        The beans heated in the fry pan.

But my dinner guest wanted mini pizzas instead. Maybe tonight!

October 17, 2018 at 10:15am

But would you put the beans ON the buttered toast? That’s the question being put to you, Mr. Laberge! Me, I put the hot beans ON the buttered toast–Mmmm, so good! Sometimes I layer EBBYFING onto the buttered toast! This, from a child who never wanted her foods to touch.

• pm laberge

October 17, 2018 at 11:16am

ON THE TOAST! How else?
            Beans have a purpose. But you can also take a spoonfull, and a bite of toast.
            Either way, they taste good.