Well, I was going to do a post on the Roasted Butternut Squash Soup I made yesterday, but it turned out to look like hell, so I’m not. Oh, what the heck. Here is my Ugly Butternut Squash Soup.
The real recipe for Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, I found at The Minimalist Baker. It’s vegan, and so is my version.
What I substituted:
- I’m out of carrots until I go to the grocery tomorrow, so I dumped some frozen mirepoix (carrots, celery, and onions) into the pot.
- Instead of the salt, pepper, and other spices, I used the shawarma spice mix I made the other week.
- I used olive oil, rather than avocado oil.
- Instead of cooking it on the stove, I put it into the Instant Pot.
- I figured (and this was my downfall) that if light coconut milk was good, full-fat coconut milk would be better.
Did you know that coconut fat will curdle? That’s what all those little pale yellow spots in my soup are from.
Tasted GREAT, but looked like hell.
Now, the thing I had decided to post instead, which isn’t vegan but is vegetarian:
I had some leftover mashed potatoes one day, so I bunged in an egg and some flour and made potato pancakes. A delicious, farm-fresh egg and the tag end of a package of shaved Parmesan, and I breakfasted heartily.
A WRITING PROMPT FROM ME TO YOU: Write about something less than attractive that is nevertheless stellar. Not a swan who thinks it’s a duck; that’s been done.