Guest Post #ThursdayDoors

I don’t feel like doing a post today because I had to have my old cat, Amidala, put down yesterday. She went into kidney dysfunction, and the treatment of force-feeding her fluids only gave her a 50/50 chance of living another 3-4 months, then having more treatment and eventually kidney failure. She would have been 17 on April 18.

So my good friend, T. Lee Harris, sent me a picture of the reflection of her beveled glass front door.

Front Door Refrations SmallI was going through my image folder and came across a pic Dale took of the sun shining through the front door glass onto the wall. I didn’t know if that would be an image you could use for your Thursday Doors thing. If it is, feel free to use it.

It’s a relatively new door, actually. Less than 20 years old. It replaced a 1950s vintage hollow-core monstrosity that my parents installed. Hated that thing with a passion. As soon as I could afford it, I bought a nicer one to replace it. The panels are beveled and textured glass held in place by brass caming. The wall, on the other hand turns 100 some time this year, and survived the 1937 flood as the cracking plaster will attest. As the sun sets, it tracks along the wall through the prisms. Dale managed to snap it at just the right time to get a good light/dark contrast.

Great job, Dale, and thank you, T!

This has been part of Norm Frampton’s Thursday Door link-up. Go see the bee-you-tee-full doors on offer there.

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Write about a flood.

One thought on “Guest Post #ThursdayDoors

April 7, 2016 at 9:20am

Dear Friend,
    I don’t know if Ami is in a better place now, because I believe cats are perfect creatures and already have a leg up on Heaven every day they have here. We are so lucky they share their perfection with us for as long as they can. Peace.

2. Pierre Laberge

April 7, 2016 at 9:51am

My condolences. Having lost 2 cats in my day, and with a 3rd aging one, who is still in good shape, I have an idea how things are.

I cannot say I feel or understand your feelings, because we are all different, and so are all cats unique. But Amidala survives in your writings, making her a pretty famous cat. And from the few writings I have been able to read (all of them recent) I know that Amidala was a good cat, a beautiful cat, a useful cat, a loving cat, a productive and inspirational cat. I am sure you, knowing what good care SHE took of YOU, took good care of HER. And the love, as is usual in these cases, was deep, and strong, and went both ways.

We must thank you for all the sharing you did, with regards to Amidala. I have no idea what awaits us after death. But I can tell you this: There are a lot more cats that deserve a good high place in heaven or Sto-Vo-Kor, than one might think. Many have probably a greater right than some humans. Amidala had a good and long life, and, for her duties (Yes, cats have duties!), she left the world a better place due to that work.

I can recall all the animal companions I have had. I remember them fondly, and still with love. Blackie, I lost at 6. he was a good dog. Stolen. Napoleon, a white French Poodle, lasted till I was 20 or so. Francis, was Lou’s (my nephew) cat, but when he left to move to Toronto, he left a hole the size of small galaxy in my heart, and others. Sweedy, a grey cat, guarded me for 10 years before vanishing suddenly one day. I think he was cat-napped. (A giant black hole!) Buddy, now stands guard, in the place of his cat brothers… Then, there were the dogs I shared, with my sister: Rocky (1/2 wolf), Blanka, Brutus James Adlard Turkington Dog (He was SO special!), Jake, Woof (stolen), and now Sam. They leave us, but never our minds and hearts.

Thanks, for all the sharing. Take Care, Live Long and Prosper. I will share the sorrow of your loss, (on the side) if you do not mind, for I will no longer have a chance to read of Amidala. Perhaps you will compile the records, and make them available as one story. A fitting tribute!

Sincerely, PML

• Pierre Laberge

April 7, 2016 at 11:26am

“B” was very special.

He started out working in an upholstery shop, and ended up working on the farm. They had a house fire, and he was hit by a fire truck. He was old, could not recover, so, heart breaking as it was, Michele had to do her duty.

He guarded my nieces like a champ. He guarded like a hound! Even I did not have sufficient security clearance.

He could actually herd cows, and pigs and horses, and knew tools, and would fetch the correct tool on request.

He knew quiet barks from loud ones! An Ace. Missed.

3. Geert

April 7, 2016 at 12:04pm

Sorry for your loss. Now exactly how you feel and how difficult it is.

4. Dan Antion

April 7, 2016 at 2:14pm

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Amidala. I feel like I had gotten to know her a bit through her Caturday posts. I liked her attitude. We are cat lovers. We’ve been through this and we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
    Dan Antion would love to share..Thursday Doors – The Montgomery BuildingMy Profile

5. Jean Reinhardt

April 7, 2016 at 2:44pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your cat, Marian. 17 years is a long time for a friendship, some marriages don’t even last that long. That reflection of a door is really interesting, good idea to include it.

6. Jesh StG

April 7, 2016 at 4:17pm

So sorry for having to put down your furry friend:( You man not be feeling like posting for a while, but I’m glad you did!(and maybe later you’re glad you pushed yourself through it). And such an unusual one too, because of the sun shining through it.

April 8, 2016 at 1:07pm

Thanks, Dami. Yes, it IS hard to do, but the vet we have doesn’t pull any punches; he gives the diagnosis, the prognosis, and — only if you ask what he would do if it applied to one of HIS pets — his considered judgement on what’s best for the animal. And they’re very respectful of the animal’s comfort and the owner’s wishes. I got to be with her in her last moments.
      Marian Allen would love to share..Richard Feynman and Shakespeare Spin Clam Spit in TomorrowLand #FridayRecommendsMy Profile