What Do Writers Do All Day?

If you’re not a writer, you might wonder what we do all day. If you are a writer, you might wonder, “Am I the only one who does this stuff all day?”

So here’s what I did yesterday:

1. WhatchaDoinWashed the bathroom rugs. Also the bathroom floor.
  2. Went to a meeting about books. Reading, not writing or selling.
  3. Read and sent emails, some about the book business.
  4. Messed around on Facebook and Twitter, some messing having to do with the book business.
  5. Wrote about ten words on my WIP (Work In Progress).
  6. Cooked.
  7. Ate.
  8. Wrote a blog post for this blog. Wrote and set up a blog post for today at Fatal Foodies.
  9. Watched an episode of The West Wing, an episode of Lost, and an episode of Ancient Civilizations of Asia Minor. This all counts as research and training.
  10. Played Minecraft.

You’ll notice there was no drinking involved. This is an omission I deplore, but there are only so many hours in a day.

My post today at Fatal Foodies is about baked salmon paprika. Tomorrow, on this blog, I’ll post about what I did with the leftovers.

The deadline on that WIP is rapidly approaching. If you believe I can finish it in time, clap your hands. Oh, say you believe!

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: What does your main character do all day on a typical day?

One thought on “What Do Writers Do All Day?

April 12, 2016 at 9:48am

Please don’t ask me what I did yesterday, because it ain’t worth mentioning.
    So congrats to a day well spent.

We believe you can finish that WIP in time!
    In fact, we know you can!

2. Dan Antion

April 12, 2016 at 10:01am

I didn’t drink either. I don’t drink a lot on workdays because, if I drank in response to work, I might drink a lot. I tend to drink on weekends.
    Dan Antion would love to share..What We Don’t Do WellMy Profile

3. Holly Jahangiri

April 12, 2016 at 3:28pm

One MIGHT get the impression, reading this, that writers do just about anything BUT write. Ahem. 10 words a day vs the deadline? I want to clap loudly, Tinkerbell, but you’re going to have to aim higher tomorrow – think you can manage 50 or so?
    Holly Jahangiri would love to share..JabberwockyMy Profile

4. Barbara Greer

April 13, 2016 at 4:23pm

LOL….you did rugs and I washed towels and CPKs (Cabbage Patch Kids) still residing in Jessica’s old room, that we’re cleaning out. Know anyone who wants to adopt any Cabbage Patch Kids. As for my main character, she’s currently trying to escape, and has me totally stalled on the next step. Sun’s out, so it time to walk Dennis, and Chase our big black lab. Have a fun week.

April 14, 2016 at 9:38am

Remember when “Patchy Kids” were collectors’ items? Remember when grown-ups were knocking each other down to get them?

My characters have had me stalled and — what a wonderful coincidence! — I sent one of them out on a walk and the jam broke!
      Marian Allen would love to share..Salmon Melt #PescatarianMy Profile

5. Kirizar

April 13, 2016 at 8:03pm

I will ensure that I do not forget the most important step–the drink of inspiration. At the rate I am going, I will be quite drunk before I am published.

April 14, 2016 at 9:40am

Heee! I drink the drink of inspiration once a week, when I go to my writers’ meeting at a brewpub and have a beer and — and this is the important bit — talk story for hours!
      Marian Allen would love to share..Salmon Melt #PescatarianMy Profile

• Barbara Greer

April 14, 2016 at 1:41pm

Is that what I need to do, drink something with a little kick to pull my brain back into my plot? I should gather with others to talk story, but that’s different than poetry talk. My absence at a gathering of minds feels like decades ago, and probably has been a decade. Guess I ought to start with wine first.