I signed up to participate in a blogfest today: the Sad Songs Blogfest. I’m supposed to post about songs that are sad but make me feel better. Here are five.
1. IMAGINE – John Lennon. I’m not sure if this is a sad song that makes me happy or a happy song that makes me feel sad. It’s prime, anyway.
2. Song Sung Blue – Neil Diamond. He says it isn’t a sad one, but it’s a song about singing sad songs to feel better. Yes. That. That’s what this fest is all about, right?
3. Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue – Crystal Gayle. This was popular during one of my many breakups and I shed many tears on the way home from work listening to it. I always felt better after hearing this beautiful voice. I can’t even remember the guy’s name, now, but I’ll never forget the gift of this song.
4. Blue Eyes Cryin’ In The Rain – Willie Nelson. My music boyfriend. Anything I listen to Willie sing makes me feel better.
5. The granddaddy of ’em all, the ultimate “wish I were dead, think I’ll drown myself and then sing about it” piece,
Die Schone Mullerin – Franz Schubert and Wilhelm Muller. A young man becomes an apprentice at a flour mill, falls in love with the miller’s daughter who only has eyes for the local huntsman; the heartbroken young man is welcomed into the comforting arms of the brook.
Thanks, Diane, for this fest!
WRITING PROMPT: What does your main character do when he or she feels blue?