#ThursdayDoors For #ThrowbackThursday

Got a twofer today.

This is the playhouse Charlie built for #4 daughter when she was big enough. It was made mostly out of scrap lumber and scrap siding.,

PlayhouseThat bridge had a drawbridge section but, when bunches of kids started playing on it, we could envision concussions and guillotinements, and Charlie removed the rope and nailed the hinged part firmly in place. He did the cutouts on the doors, including the unicorn, and screwed a sheet of plexiglass on the inside.

Here’s a close-up of the unicorn.

DetailJust inside, which you can vaguely see through the unicorn’s butt above, we painted the wall.

wall1And, to the right and between the front window and the catwalk door, we painted, also.

wall2Pretty cockamamie, but all us little kids got a kick out of doing it.

Inside this edifice, which is mostly doors and stairs, #4 kept a museum of natural history. Mostly seashells other people brought back from vacations, rocks and fossils, and bones she found on her amateur archaeological excavations. She had a crow skull and the entire skeleton of a turtle. Also: we generally had two or three stray beagles who took up residence with us, and beagles are always good for dragging unspeakable things home.

I say the structure was mostly stairs. Here’s the first flight, just to the right of the door.

flight1That blue panel is the catwalk door. Here’s the catwalk.

door2At the end, for a while, there was a sliding board, but it got splintery so Charlie took it down and put up a railing. Under this catwalk is a tire swing.

The stairs continue.

flight2door3Outside this door is a balcony, perfect for picnics in nice weather. Here’s part of the view.

viewfromdoor3And the stairs go on.

flight3And on, to the top.

flight4UnicornThis is a stained glass unicorn with her head in the clouds, done by my mother.

This was a great place to play, especially in moderate weather. It was awfully cold in cold weather, though, and stifling up top in warm weather. Spiders and wasps love it in any and all weathers, though.

This is part of Norm Frampton’s wonderful Thursday Doors link-up.

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Where did your main character play in childhood? What about your antagonist?

One thought on “#ThursdayDoors For #ThrowbackThursday

October 22, 2015 at 8:54am

Charlie’s a little bit OCD when he gets into a project. #4 daughter and her friends had a lot of fun with this house. If I could get it wired and plumbed, I’d love to use it as an office.
      Marian Allen would love to share..TURTLE FEATHERSMy Profile

1. norm2.0

October 22, 2015 at 8:54am

That is just wonderful! I hope the kids who got to enjoy this knew how incredibly lucky they were – thank you so much for sharing 🙂

October 22, 2015 at 8:57am

They did know, Norm! One of them drops by sometimes when he’s in town and reminisces. He said he has a little girl he’d like to bring sometime, because he’s always telling her about it. He said he told her it felt like it was about twelve stories high. 🙂
      Marian Allen would love to share..#ThursdayDoors For #ThrowbackThursdayMy Profile

2. Teagan Geneveien

October 22, 2015 at 9:06am

It’s a fantastic door for a fabulous playhouse! Your daughter must have been absolutely thrilled. Have a thriving Thursday.

October 22, 2015 at 9:43am

She got a lot of enjoyment out of it, Teagan, and so did our next-door grandson. Have a thriving Thursday, yourself, and thank you for stopping in!
      Marian Allen would love to share..SAGEMy Profile

October 22, 2015 at 10:15am

Yowzer!

I built us a whole bunch of playhouses. Though they were about 80% imagination. I’d prop a discarded shutter in a fork of the cherry tree and then climb on. Whew. Close to cherries, though! And we would use sheer curtains for tents (and outfits!). They’re very versatile.

Dad built us a house up against the willow tree. He used fallen bits of the willow after a storm, put in uprights from the branches, and wove the withes in between to make walls. I forget about the roof, but it was rigged out from the wreckage, too, I think.

Marian, I am in awe of Charlie’s playhouse. I mean, #4’s playhouse. 😉
    Such serious craftmanship! I recall Sara showing me her collection and am so delighted she had a museum to keep her things in. Best decorating choices ever! You can never go wrong with unicorns!

4. Jess

October 22, 2015 at 7:33pm

I would have had a baby heart attack if this were my play house as a child!