Salad — Do It This A Way #Vegan

We like salads, and we make a lot of them. The “recipe” for salad is simple: put some raw plant stuff together.

Here’s one I made last week.

A SaladThat’s lettuce, sliced cucumbers, purple cabbage, and some almonds toasted in olive oil and salt.

We usually begin with iceberg lettuce, because we like it, but sometimes we use cabbage, or bok choy, or Romaine lettuce, or spinach. Sometimes we add carrots, and/or celery and/or green onions. We like sunflower seeds, pecans, walnuts, and cashews. Sometimes we add raisins, craisins (dried cranberries), mandarin oranges, or pears.

“This a way” means, in salads as well as in writing, whatever works for you.

And now, because I have it stuck in my head, this:

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Two characters differ on what makes a particular dish “right.”

One thought on “Salad — Do It This A Way #Vegan

March 23, 2016 at 8:47am

Thanks bunches for the tune. It’s exactly what I needed right now!

March 23, 2016 at 8:57am

Charlie isn’t a bok choy fan, so I only buy it like once a year. I love the stuff. You can use it in salad — our #1 daughter has a super salad she makes OF bok choy — or cook it, like in stir-fry. You can tear off the leafy parts and oil them and salt them and bake them, like kale chips only bok choy chips. As for walnuts … Mmmm, yeah, walnuts and dried cranberries are soooo good!
      Marian Allen would love to share..THE KING OF CHEROKEE CREEKMy Profile

March 23, 2016 at 10:24am

A month or so ago, Charlie got a craving for cucumbers, so we’ve been having them. Maybe they remind him of summer, too, and he’s ready! 🙂
      Marian Allen would love to share..TURTLE FEATHERSMy Profile

2. Pierre Laberge

March 23, 2016 at 9:35am

A salad like that looks healthy and delicious. I’d add some thing cut onion rings, but I am eccentric. I also cannot have a salad without some tomato. But that is an addiction, and likely a fetish…..

March 23, 2016 at 10:26am

Heh! Charlie can’t eat raw onions, except a little green onion now and again. Really thin red or sweet onion rings would be super! And I don’t eat tomatoes out of season. It just isn’t worth it. During the season, though, I would eat tomatoes until I founder!
      Marian Allen would love to share..SIDESHOW IN THE CENTER RINGMy Profile

March 24, 2016 at 8:40am

It really was! Here’s a true story for you: When I was little, we went to a restaurant and my salad had purple cabbage in it. Now, ya don’t see that color much in food, and I wouldn’t eat it. I said, “What even IS it?” And my mother said, “Those are shredded orchids. Some man in South America had to go into the jungle and climb up to the top of a tall, tall tree to harvest those just for you.” Of course, I ate the purple cabbage. For some reason, purple cabbage in salad seemed to go out of style and I didn’t see that again until I was grown, at which time my mother’s story came back to me and I laughed and laughed. I still think of purple cabbage in salad as “orchids.” 😀
      Marian Allen would love to share..More San Antonio #ThursdayDoors #TbTMy Profile