So It Begins. Again. #WeightLoss #Exercise

I got a clean bill of health from the doc this last time except I’m overweight and my cholesterol is WAY high. My HDL is stratospheric in comparison to my LDL, but she (my doctor) wants ALL my cholesterols to come down from that ledge before somebody gets hurt.

So I’m trying to cut back on carbs, caffeine, calories, and couching. I also bought a “Fitness Stepper” from Starcrest for a measly $69 bucks, no shipping!

Here’s how it arrived. Well, it arrived neatly packed in a box, but here’s how it looked out of the box.

Stepper1

Some assembly required.

Oh, lord, methinks, what have I gotten myself into?

But I bravely unpacked the boxes within boxes and twisted my brain into interperet-instructions mode.

Stepper2Everything was there and more. There was a wee li’l crescent wrench that was totally unnecessary, as was one of the Allen wrenches, as was the bottle of glue. (Glue? Yes, glue.)

How long did it take me to put it together? About half an hour. Charlie was on the couch, watching me. I was terribly afraid he would try to do it for me, in which case the instructions might as well be written in Swahili and I’d have to take one of the pieces and beat him to death with it and live as a widow. But he left me to it, and I did it.

Ain't it purty?

Ain’t it purty?

It works just peachy, or did for the minute and a half I used it. Don’t want to overdo.

I’m posting at Fatal Foodies today about some chard thing I made.

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Does your main character have to do exercises to stay in shape?

One thought on “So It Begins. Again. #WeightLoss #Exercise

July 12, 2016 at 10:25am

Good news: Apparently, an intense 60 seconds (yes, I said SECONDS) of activity each day can have a powerful effect on one’s fitness level.

I suppose we’re talking couch potato-level fitness, but hey, I’ll take it. And it just so happens that every day I perform a tiny little workout while the coffee is perking: I wave my arms around, do a piece of tai chi, and then I punch out my bad sister for—oh, I’m going to say—about 60 seconds. YAY! I just got fit!

July 12, 2016 at 11:38am

Oh, that IS great news! I do more than 60 seconds of activity just walking back and forth to the john.
      Marian Allen would love to share..SAGEMy Profile

July 12, 2016 at 11:58am

I couldn’t believe they included the tools and that it went together so easily. I can keep it in my office and use it here and there during the day. Happy!
      Marian Allen would love to share..Free ReadsMy Profile

2. Patricia Stoltey

July 12, 2016 at 4:02pm

You made me laugh with that remark about instructions and husbands. This may be a universal trait because when I buy something that needs to be put together, I wait until my darling husband is out of the house so I can do it myself. He’s very handy for carrying things that are too heavy for me though. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Patricia Stoltey would love to share..Writersโ€“Make Peace with Your Choices and Stop Feeling GuiltyMy Profile

3. Damyanti

July 13, 2016 at 12:52am

Wow, that looks amazing. All the best with the fitness plans. More salad and green tea, less red meat, and a walk everyday will also help. Warm honey lemon water first thing in the morning is a tried and tested aid.
    Damyanti would love to share..How to Structure a Novel #WritetipMy Profile

4. A.C.Flory

July 13, 2016 at 1:59am

-giggles- Very purty and will probably get as much use as my exercise bike. ๐Ÿ˜‰ That said, I watched something on ageing last week and it made the point that in an experiment, the Boomers who danced for …1 x 3 hours per weeks fared 15% better than those who did exactly the same length of exercise at the gym, i.e on gym equipment.
    As I used to love dancing, I unearthed my old Usher CD and gave it a try. 4 minutes only, high intensity [for me at any rate], every day whenever I can fit it in and lots of fun. So far I don’t think I’ve missed a day. Of course you should probably ask me again at the end of the month. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Good luck with the stepper!
    A.C.Flory would love to share..#Chatbots โ€“ and we need them becauseโ€ฆ?My Profile

July 13, 2016 at 7:39am

I loved my exercise bike! I rode it literally to pieces. That’s how I lost 30 pounds the last time I decided to get fit.

I can understand about the dancing/exercise disparity: People who WOULD dance, are doing something that makes them happy; people who MUST exercise, are doing something more-or-less against their will. When you say you dance, do you do a specific dance, a line dance, a series of exercise moves, or what? Because I dance like a Muppet — sit in a chair and wave my arms around like somebody has his hand up my butt — and I somehow don’t think that would be very effective.
      Marian Allen would love to share..Squersh Soup #veganMy Profile

• A.C.Flory

July 13, 2016 at 7:59am

That’s a good point about the enjoyment aspect. Things that are good for you are always easier to do when they’re enjoyable. As for my dancing style….um, vintage 70’s with lots of jumping around, mostly in time to the music? It’s not pretty, but I do have fun so… ๐Ÿ™‚

5. It’s not really a recipe, though, k?
    SO Chop up chard and kale. Heat olive oil, then add it to lemon juice and ground pepper. Toast some croutons in some other olive oil until they’re all brown and oily. Mix it all together, season to taste, and toss with parmesan. It’s really, really yummy, I mean, you know, lemon and pepper afterall! ๐Ÿ˜›
    Joey would love to share..One-Liner Wednesday โ€” Jarhead GibeMy Profile

6. Howard

August 10, 2016 at 3:28pm

Losing 30 pounds on an exercise bike is amazing! With that as a background, I’m sure you’ll be stepping your way to your current goals – you know, as long as you like the stepper. Would love to hear how you and the new stepper get on.

7. Personal trainer

November 5, 2016 at 6:11pm

I liked your attitude. So if you travel in Scandinavia on some day, I will train you for free! ๐Ÿ™‚ http://www.rapakunnossa.com

As somebody said earlier, 60 seconds of hard work with that apparatus and then 60 secs of break. Repeat that for 8-10 rounds and you will get fitter!

Or you could check some local personal trainer for help?

8. Amber K. Peterson

November 7, 2016 at 2:12pm

As long as you are doing something that is all that matters. Stay active, watch what you put in your math and a huge thing most people forget is to get a solid nights sleep! So important!