My New Digital Word Processors #amwriting with #pens

My amazing friend and fellow writer T. Lee Harris has two fountain pens so I got all green with jealousy and bought two for myself. Since I think I’m funny, I call them my digital word processors. Like this post here.

ANYWAY, I began by searching for “best fountain pen for the price”. Because I don’t want junk, but I’m not Niles and Frasier Crane, either.

I found The Pen Addict, who said the best beginner fountain pen was the Pilot Metropolitan. One of TPA’s sponsors is JetPen, so I went over there. There was a wealth of choice, so I spent a couple of hours browsing guides and chose these two.

They have medium Italic nibs. A little on the thick side, as it turns out, but I’ll get used to it. Isn’t that hatching pretty?

Here’s what it writes like.

They each came equipped with rubber bladders, for sucking bottled ink into, but the last time I tried to refill something with ink I redecorated my desk. These also came equipped to take cartridges, and I chose to use the cartridges.

Beautiful pens! They make me happy. 🙂

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Writing about a writing implement or implement improvisation.

One thought on “My New Digital Word Processors #amwriting with #pens

1. Dan Antion

June 26, 2017 at 8:51am

I used to always use a fountain pen. Then mine got dirty and refused all attempts to be cleaned and I stopped. Maybe I need to try again.

June 26, 2017 at 11:14am

There are any number of websites and even YouTube videos to walk you through any pen procedure you care to name. Inserting a cartridge? Who needs a video to know how to insert an ink cartridge? Whippersnappers who didn’t grow up with cartridge pens, apparently. Remember when ball-point pens were A New Thing? ‘Course you don’t. ‘Cause you’re a whippersnapper, that’s why. ;D
      Marian Allen would love to share..My New Digital Word Processors #amwriting with #pensMy Profile

• Dan Antion

June 26, 2017 at 2:18pm

Whippersnapper?? I learned how to use an abacus, a fountain pen that you had to suck the ink out of a bottle with the little gizzmo on the side and a slide rule.

One of my favorite days was the day they invented the Flair 🙂

June 26, 2017 at 2:23pm

I take it back, Dan! You’re entitled to use the Sekrit Offishul Geezer Handshake! I used a slide rule, but I can’t claim to have learned how. Nor did I use an abacus. I did use a pump fountain pen, though. Thank God this was before the Smurfs, or my nickname would have been Smurfette for sure. Surprised it wasn’t Inky. Or Spot.

2. Roy A. Ackerman, PhD, EA

June 26, 2017 at 11:05am

I, too,use fountain pens. and, just the other day, i knocked the ink onto the floor. which shattered the glass and created the most variegated tile view i had ever seen. Sigh. Now, I need to buy more ink.
    Roy A. Ackerman, PhD, EA would love to share..Healthy Eating?My Profile

June 26, 2017 at 7:02pm

So. You decided to change your site.

Wow. Let me think this over. You know how I panic at change.

4. Deborah

June 26, 2017 at 8:12pm

I love fountain pens. I have two. A Lami Safari, and Platinum Carbon one. They both take cartridges or can be filled with a suck up thingy. I like the cartridges, but still get messy changing them out and cleaning the nibs, and pens.

Have fun with your new pens, and I hope you don’t make a mess with the ink. 🙂

June 27, 2017 at 7:47am

Oooo, a Lami Safari! Ooo, a Platinum Carbon! Thanks for your good wishes, Deborah, but I have little hope of not getting messy. The best I can ever hope for is to be able to clean up the mess efficiently. 😀
      Marian Allen would love to share..An Abandoned #MinecraftPE HouseMy Profile

June 27, 2017 at 7:50am

“All blue and weird.” I’ll take that as a Nay vote. 😀

I’m taking my pens wif me to InConJunction, just in case anybody buys a book and wants me to sign it. If that happens, I only hope I don’t make blots all over the book. :/ I usually write directly on the computer, but I may give myself a treat and compose something with pen on paper, the way I used to do.
      Marian Allen would love to share..An Abandoned #MinecraftPE HouseMy Profile