Kid, There’s Always a Door #ThursdayDoors

You know the motivational anecdote of the kid who got a pile of manure for Christmas, and grabbed a shovel and started diggging on the theory that there couldn’t be that much manure without there being a pony somewhere?

Well, these pictures are like that except, you know, not.

I took these as a passenger in and around Indianapolis last year. Since some of them were from the highway and some of them were grabbed as we turned a corner, few of them contain actual doors, but every building must have at least one door, right, unless you’re Rapunzel’s foster mom.

So.

Dental office with actual door. The position has possibly been filled since then.
Gorgeous building!
Castle-y thing.
Another castle-y thing.
I don’t know what this is, but I love it.
Crane and contrail for Dan.
Maybe a school? At least parts of at least two doors.
Fire hydrant access in highway wall.

Thursday doors is the brainchild of Norm Frampton, photographer extraordinaire. Visit his site, enjoy his wonderful photographs, follow his directions, and enter a world of doors.

A WRITING PROMPT FROM ME TO YOU: Taking pictures from a moving vehicle.

One thought on “Kid, There’s Always a Door #ThursdayDoors

1. Kirizar

April 16, 2020 at 8:52am

It’s like you distanced your photography in response to the Covid-19 rules of engagement! Clever you!

April 16, 2020 at 9:10am

It’s more the “don’t get your pants shot off” rules of engagement. Folks don’t like being surveilled by other people’s phones.

2. Daniel Antion

April 16, 2020 at 9:36am

This’d are all good doors. I’ll take a bag of 10 sliders, if you please πŸ™‚

3. Norm 2.0

April 16, 2020 at 3:15pm

I guess we could call this a drive-by doorscursion then? The dental office entrance and the castle-y building (not the burger place) both stand out for me. It’s not easy to get usable shots from a moving vehicle but you pulled it off πŸ™‚

April 16, 2020 at 3:32pm

I take a bunchabunch and hope at least a couple are usable. πŸ™‚

April 17, 2020 at 8:46am

I guess we didn’t pass a Krispy Kreme. I love them, too, but White Castles are comfort food. They were the only thing that would settle my stomach when I was expecting #4.

4. Ally Bean

April 17, 2020 at 6:35pm

That’s a swanky White Castle. It almost looks inviting.

April 18, 2020 at 9:01am

White Castles are always inviting to me. I would live on White Castles, if there were one in walking distance.

5. joey

April 19, 2020 at 7:13pm

Hey! I know some of those places! That first castle-y thing is the United Methodist Church and the thing you don’t know what it is, it’s either the gate support on Madison Avenue or in Carmel.
    Also, I live just behind one of those doors on I-465 πŸ™‚

April 20, 2020 at 8:10am

Oh! If I’d known you were behind one of those doors, I’d a jumped out of the car every time we passed one and scaled the wall! LOL! I love that big castle-y thing! A Methodist church the size of the Taj Mahal? That’s super! I would have to change churches and go there, just for the architecture.

• joey

April 20, 2020 at 8:22pm

MARIAN! I AM GETTING A NOTIFICATION FROM YOU! YOU HAVE REPLIED AND IT HAS APPEARED IN MY NOTIFICATIONS! HOW EFFIN FANTASTIC!
        It’s not a church anymore, it’s a performance hall. Or it was. I haven’t been in a long time. It could be abandoned now. I’m not hep to the nightlife anymore, ya know?
        You would like the Broadway United Methodist Church. It is also beautiful, and they’re Good Christians, like you. All about the love. If I were a Christian, I’d go there.

April 21, 2020 at 8:07am

Where in the ever-lovin’ blue-eyed world did you get the notion that I’m a Good Christian? Yeah, I go to church (sometimes), and I try to follow the way of compassion, but I do that because I’m human, not because I believe the dogma. One does the right thing because it’s the right thing to do. If there’s a compassionate God, God approves, but that’s beside the point. I’m in a weird place: I almost died from anaphylactic shock, and I didn’t see a light or angels or my dead dog or anything, but I wasn’t scared; I was both peaceful and excited. I was like, “Now I’ll know. Or, you know, I won’t.” I don’t think there’s life after death but, if there is, I’m up for it. I don’t believe there’s a God like the God of The Book but, if there is, I’d rather take my chances with God than with any judgey people.

ANYWAY, I’m glad you got a notification from my blog! Maybe it’s because I uninstalled the CommenLuv plug-in.

• joey

April 22, 2020 at 6:26pm

Well dang. I didn’t mean to offend. I assumed, and you know what an ass that makes of me. You do go to a Christian church and I remember you speaking about your Protestant college years as well — I feel like it was Lutheran or Methodist? So I assumed you are a Christian, and since you don’t try to convert me or save me, (not the judgey kind) I consider you the Good kind.
            I feel badly because people assume I’m a Christian, too. White lady problems, I guess.
            I’m really bummed you didn’t see the light or your dead dog. My father told me the light was coming back for him <3
            Really hope I didn’t upset you. I have unchecked the box next to “Christian” in my brain label system.

April 23, 2020 at 8:46am

Oh, sugar, you didn’t offend me. <3 And I wouldn’t consider being called a Good Christian offensive AT ALL. I just don’t want to fly false colors. In fact, my second-most besetting sin is Envy of people with a sincere faith. My primary besetting sin, of course, is Sloth. I would be beset by more of the Seven Deadlies, but I’m too damn lazy.

• joey

April 24, 2020 at 9:05pm

Good! Really feel bad having assumed. I have gobs of faith, and no dogma. I think it would be nice to be a Christian, like smoother, I suppose. Interesting. See, I find you industrious, so I can’t see sloth. Mine would be wrath.