A Treat For Kids To Eat

Yesterday on Fatal Foodies, I posted about bees. Now I’m going to give you some honey recipes. Sort of.

Our #4 daughter came up with this when she was little, so I know kids like it!

HONEY IN A LOG

• bread with the crusts cut off – She liked Roman Meal (multi-grain with no identifiable bits in it).
  • honey

Let the kid mash the bread down sort of flat–not like paper-flat. Spread with honey. (The bread, not the kid.) Let the kid roll the bread up like a jelly roll.

Honey is also most tasty mixed well with butter and spread on hot rolls or toast. Honey is wonderful mixed with softened cream cheese and fruit and plopped on fancy crackers.

Do you have any quick-and-easy honey recipes, especially ones kids would like?

WRITING PROMPT: Write a paragraph about an under-six-year-old coming up with a recipe. Is it good to everyone, or just to him/her? Does the child intend for it to be good?

One thought on “A Treat For Kids To Eat

July 20, 2011 at 9:56am

Helen, um yum, that sounds so good! Honey is great to sweeten tea, too. Mom and I love Alexander McCall-Smith’s NO. 1 LADIES’ DETECTIVE AGENCY books, and learned that Mma Ramotswe’s beloved redbush (rooibos) tea sweetened with honey is called honeybush. It’s DELISH!

July 20, 2011 at 9:57am

T, you are SO right! Sometimes I dress fruit salad with a drizzle of honey. Local, fresh honey, if I can get it.

1. Dani G.

July 20, 2011 at 2:15pm

Remember that local honey has added benefit helping prevent allergies!

July 20, 2011 at 4:42pm

Charlie has a friend who claims bee stings help alleviate his arthritis. I think the sting just hurts so much, he doesn’t notice the arthritis as much!

July 20, 2011 at 9:02pm

Monti, I like some honey more than others. With fresh local honey, what flowers the bees visit makes a big difference in how the honey tastes. My favorite is tulip poplar honey. Mmmmmmm!

As for the little plus, I see one at the end of each post. I haven’t been Google-plussing long enough to know if it shows up only for people registered with some kind of Google account or for everybody. Anybody know?

July 20, 2011 at 9:03pm

Oh, YES, Diane, I LOVE that! We had a fish restaurant around here for a while that served sweet potato fries and honey butter, and I got addicted to it. lol!