Project X Underway

I’m putting together another collection of my short stories. All the stories will have birds and/or animals in them, some real and some not-so-real. I’m struggling with the title right now.

The stories in it will be:

The Day the Dog Ate Popcorn
Out of the Cradle
Craw
Dog Show
For a Few Bottles More
Millefleurs
Truth in a Tale
Born Again
Essay About My Mother
Turtle Love
Home on the Range

Meanwhile, I’m posting today at Fatal Foodies: Tofu Is Not A Radioactive Japanese Monster.

WRITING PROMPT: How do you choose titles for your books or stories, website or posts? If you don’t write or blog, if you had to choose a new name, how would you go about it?

One thought on “Project X Underway

1. Carol Kilgore

March 6, 2012 at 2:33pm

If I’m blogging about more than one thing I try to combine two or more of them into something catchy. With your list of stories, something like Dogs in the Cradle. My blog title for tomorrow is Stringy Melons. Titles are hard.

2. Helen Ginger

March 7, 2012 at 9:45am

After years of blogging, it’s not always easy to come up with new titles. I like to do something catchy, but it still has to go with the topic.
    Helen Ginger would love to share..Authors and ReadersMy Profile

March 7, 2012 at 9:58am

I’m glad you think so, too, Helen! I thought EEL’S REVERENCE was the perfect title for that novel, but people are all, “Eee! Eels!” :/

3. Maryann Miller

March 7, 2012 at 10:34am

Titles for a collection are harder for me to select than titles for a complete novel, and I really do struggle with blog titles. Do you go for something cute to catch a reader’s attention, or for something that the search engines will pick up on. Sometimes those are not the same.

I like Carol’s suggestion for your title.

March 7, 2012 at 11:27am

Maryann, I don’t think I’m going to use that one, but I do think I’m going to use her idea. I’m thinking of Turtle Feathers. It sounds funny and weird, and some of these stories are one or the other or both.

4. Nicholle Olores

March 7, 2012 at 11:39pm

Hi Marian, I almost agree most of the comments above that titles are really important it must be catchy and interesting.
    Nicholle Olores would love to share..Timber Doors BrisbaneMy Profile

March 8, 2012 at 8:21am

Okay, Nicholle, do you like these? Why or why not?
      EEL’S REVERENCE
      FORCE OF HABIT
      LONNIE, ME AND THE HOUND OF HELL
      THE KING OF CHEROKEE CREEK
      HOT FLASHES
      TURTLE FEATHERS

March 9, 2012 at 10:52am

Hi, I am really drawn to Wagging the Tale,
    BUT Turtle Feathers is very compelling, too.

March 9, 2012 at 10:58am

The trouble with Wagging the Tale is that it implies dog stories, and not all of these stories have dogs in. Of course, NONE of the stories have feathered turtles.