RIP Munchkin Special Tuesday #Caturday

the queenAmidala speaking.

MaMA had to take Munchkin to the vet today, and he didn’t come back. He’s been having trouble walking the past week, and he hasn’t done anything but eat and sleep for over a month. I know those are a cat’s favorite activities, but trust me when I say I know he wasn’t feeling well.

The vet said my foster brother had lost a little weight, after he had gained some on his hyperthyroid medicine. He never did stop sneezing and snotting, and the vet said he might have an infection where a tooth had broken off earlier in his life.

MaMA said the vet said the thyroid problem might have been masking other problems. It could be anything from diabetes to cancer — or all of the above. Finding out what was wrong would take some time and would mean doing tests, digging in his mouth, changing medicines ….

MaMA cried when she told me she decided she didn’t want to put him through all that at his age. (He’s older than I am, and I turned 15 in April.)

I’ve been sitting next to her all day, purring as loud as I can, trying to let her know she did the right thing. When my time comes, I know I can count on her to do everything she can to make me feel good but that she won’t make me stay if I can’t enjoy it.

Here’s a picture of Munchkin on October 28, when MaMA brought us home with her.

munchskinnyAnd here is was today at the vet’s.

Munchkin10-5-15RIP, brother. I’ll see you on the other side. Say hello to Ed, our former human, for me, and tell him we found a good home after he had to leave us.

A WRITING PROMPT FOR ANIMALS: Write a letter to a human or another animal who has gone before you.

AA

One thought on “RIP Munchkin Special Tuesday #Caturday

• Marian Allen

October 6, 2015 at 3:00pm

Thanks, Holly. No, he had already had one dental surgery, and they were talking many different tests, procedures, and treatments. He would have hated it. Thanks for the hugs and head rub. –Oh, the head rub was supposed to be for Amidala.
      Marian Allen would love to share..RIP Munchkin Special Tuesday #CaturdayMy Profile

• Marian Allen

October 6, 2015 at 3:40pm

Thanks, Kat. Yeah, I knew Munchkin was feeling bad when he stopped coming upstairs for snuggles, and he stopped purring when I put out his food. Just a couple of months ago, he was purring so loud he sounded like he was gargling!

• Marian Allen

October 10, 2015 at 1:25pm

Thank you! Your wonderful story was so moving and comforting. I do know in my head that I did the right thing, but I sure hated to see him have to go. He was a sweet boy.
      Marian Allen would love to share..Amidala Alone #CaturdayMy Profile

October 6, 2015 at 10:47am

Dear Munchkin,
    Aren’t you glad your happy home was with our friend Marian?
    She always knows the right thing to do, and I know you understand that and love her for it, too.
    Fare well, mon vieux.

2. Ellen

October 6, 2015 at 10:54am

we had to put our cat down a couple years ago; he was 17. He was going into kidney failure and his back legs had started to give out. It was time but it was hard.

3. Terry cramer

October 6, 2015 at 1:00pm

Oh, we’re so sorry. I have watched many fursibs go off to their big trip. I know what it feels like. We have to enjoy our days as a tribute to our beloved sibbies.

Love,

Livvie, rat terrier in charge

• Marian Allen

October 7, 2015 at 2:37pm

Thank you, Jo. I knew Munchkin was toward the end of his life when I got him, so this was, I suppose, the reason I chose him. I wanted to give him love and comfort as long as he could enjoy life, and to help him leave when my choices were helping him leave or holding him against his best interest.
      Marian Allen would love to share..6 Herbs To Grow In Your Kitchen Garden #ListicleMy Profile