Falls of Rough #ThursdayDoors #TBT

My husband spent some happy years in Caneyville, Kentucky and around the Falls of Rough. We go down there occasionally to revisit some of the old haunts.

First, we looked in at the old church, which has a lovely front even though it’s looking a little dilapidated.FoR ME Church Here’s a better picture of the door with my husband (in tan slacks) and his friend peeking in.

Charlie and Marvin at FoR churchThe reason we looked at the church is that it’s next to the rectory where Charlie’s parents were married.

FoR RectoryThen we walked across the footbridge.

GC BridgeThe plaque says it was originally built in 1872.

Mill at FallsHere’s what the old grist mill looked like the first time we went back to visit. The Greens ran it.

Green MillBut they — whoever “they” are — decided to restore it.

GC Under RepairJust beyond the mill is the Cheap Cash Store. Charlie remembers it well. The Greens ran this, too. Alas, it has since burned to the ground.

Store at Falls of RoughAnd here’s the Green mansion. Charlie’s father helped in the garden as a teenager. None of the family of three boys and a girl married, so it isn’t in the family now. It’s a bed and breakfast.

Green MansionMy mother’s mother was a Green, and she came from around there. I’m just sayin’.

This has been part of Norm Frampton’s Thursday Doors link-up. Go over there and click on the link and find more doors from around the world!

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Where, specifically, did your main character grow up?

One thought on “Falls of Rough #ThursdayDoors #TBT

February 4, 2016 at 7:38am

I grew up in Louisville, Kentucky, so I don’t share those Grayson/Breckinridge County memories, so I especially like to tag along when Charlie and his sibs go down there, so I can eavesdrop on the “remember when”s. πŸ™‚
      Marian Allen would love to share..A DEAD GUY AT THE SUMMERHOUSEMy Profile

February 4, 2016 at 9:49am

The scuttlebutt around town was that, if they married, they were disinherited, but Charlie says that was just a dramatic rumor. They ran everything around there, so it’s possible they thought they were above everybody. Or they just may have felt complete without life partners. It is unusual for the whole generation to live and die single, though. Lots of story possibilities. ~grin~
      Marian Allen would love to share..TURTLE FEATHERSMy Profile

1. norm2.0

February 4, 2016 at 8:57am

I just love it when someone takes the time and effort to put some tlc into historic old buildings. It’s so important to preserve parts of our past, and to go back and visit them from time to time.

February 4, 2016 at 9:51am

I love that, too, Norm, although disrepair is wonderfully picturesque. I think that’s one reason I love Storybook Style architecture so much; some iterations of it mimic disrepair just for the odd beauty of it.
      Marian Allen would love to share..A DEAD GUY AT THE SUMMERHOUSEMy Profile

February 4, 2016 at 10:03am

I once met a lady on the bus who knew all about a mansion back in the Edith Lane area to which huge amounts of the surrounding land used to belong. I later went back those winding roads and found it, very small amidst the encroaching houses and streets, but well hidden by trees and such. I had never spotted it driving around until I went looking for it. Hmmmm…

February 5, 2016 at 8:15am

Jan, the “falls” are just barely steep enough turn a mill wheel. I wanted to include a picture of the mill run, but I already had so many pictures in this post I left it out. Falls of Rough is short for the Falls of Rough River. πŸ™‚
      Marian Allen would love to share..THE KING OF CHEROKEE CREEKMy Profile

February 5, 2016 at 8:21am

Old buildings and old houses, built in the day when architectural and decorative detail was the norm, give me such deep pleasure. You know that comic strip, The Family Circus? I used to wonder why looking at it made me grind my teeth, when the content of it often tickled me. Then I realized that the house has absolutely no detail to it, not even window casings!
      Marian Allen would love to share..A DEAD GUY AT THE SUMMERHOUSEMy Profile

3. Jesh StG

February 5, 2016 at 10:25pm

Some coats of paint do a lot of good:) None of the Green’s kids got married? As a retired psychologist I immediately wonder what the reasons could have been that four kids never married …(a plot for a novel? Am not serious, but I couldn’t resist:)
    Jesh StG would love to share..SPRING IS NOT AWAKE YETMy Profile