Fancy-Schmancy Terlits #ThursdayDoors

Yeah, all you All In The Family fans, you know what I’m talkin’ about. Not actual terlits, though; just the doors. ‘Cause Thursday Doors.

So I went to Imaginarium Creative Writing Festival, which was held at the Crowne Plaza in Louisville, Kentucky. They sure have fancy doors in their necessaries. In the Ladies’ ones, anyway.

These pictures were not taken under optimum conditions. There isn’t just a world of room in there, and I had to dodge other users, lest they think I’m a totally different sort of weirdo than I, in fact, may be.

So, taking it from in to out, here is a stall door. In case it isn’t clear, this louvered beauty goes all the way to the floor, leaving no room for uninvited peeksies. A woman had a part in designing these stalls, though, because there IS room between the floor and the stall walls, so we can rescue each other by passing one another …. Well, you women know, and you men don’t need to.

imgladiesstallHere’s the inside of the door to the hall. Unnecessarily fancy, which makes me happy.

imgladiesinAnd here’s the outside of the same door. Even fancier, which kind of ticks me off. Equal fanciness for both sides of the door! Who’s with me?

imgladiesoutAnd here is an unrelated door, which is beveled glass, and pleases me greatly.

imgexecoffThis post is, if you squint, a part of Norm Frampton’s Thursday Doors link-up. Go look at Norm’s gorgeous photographs, click on the blue link at the bottom of his post, and see what normal people are taking pictures of.

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Write about something that’s fancier on the outside than on the inside.

One thought on “Fancy-Schmancy Terlits #ThursdayDoors

1. Dan

October 20, 2016 at 7:45am

Nicrly done, Marian! You handled a delicate subject well and captured some very nice doors. I havd to differ with you on the equal nice on the doors. If you look closely, the back side is cut, the way a raised panel would be, so they did make an attempt to make it look good from both sides. I have to stand with the woodworker on this one, ‘cuz that’s s beautiful door and it involved a ton of work.

The glass door is very pretty. Thanks for remembering us for addics during your busy adventure.
    Dan would love to share..Thursday Doors – ISU Part-IMy Profile

• Dan Antion

October 20, 2016 at 9:17am

I was only thinking about the woodworker. Carving (even with the aid of a machine)is easy on a panel with a flat back. Carving a panel that has the other side already carved would be a nightmare – wobble wobble wobble. On the other hand, since it is a panel door, the woodworker could have cut twice as many carved panels, from thinner stock, and sandwiched them together. So, if you still want to go after him/her/them…
        Dan Antion would love to share..Thursday Doors – ISU Part-IMy Profile

2. Great intro! I lol’d.
    I think this is a wonderful lesson on insuring privacy. I wish public bathroom design would become all the rage. I want privacy. I want easy to acquire paper, and I want the waste receptacle by the door.
    Also, I agree, equal fanciness for both sides IS preferred.
    Very fancy fer terlits! 🙂
    Joey would love to share..#ThursdayDoors — Scottish Rite TourMy Profile

October 20, 2016 at 8:42am

I got some very odd looks. When I tried to explain I took pictures of doors, I got nods, nervous smiles, and lots of “Uh-huh”s. But we were mostly writers, so nobody called a cop.
      Marian Allen would love to share..TURTLE FEATHERSMy Profile

3. norm 2.0

October 20, 2016 at 9:40am

I read, All In The Family, and the first thing that came to mind was: “Stifle Edith, Stifle!” Boy, thankfully no man would get away with that today without getting throttled.
    I loved the way this post evolved into fancier and fancier doors – nicely done 🙂
    norm 2.0 would love to share..Thursday Doors – October 20, 2016My Profile

October 20, 2016 at 1:46pm

I know! Mom watches All in the Family every night, and every time Archie says that, Mom says, “That’s HER fault for putting up with him.” Of course, Mom was only married about a year and a half, so there that is. It was a different time, and good riddance to it.
      Marian Allen would love to share..Fancy-Schmancy Terlits #ThursdayDoorsMy Profile

October 22, 2016 at 8:04am

If I never have to smile and wave at another two-year-old face appearing upside down from outside a stall door, I believe I can bear it. Love kids, love smiling and waving to them, love answering them when they ask, “Whatcha doing?”, but not in that particular situation.
      Marian Allen would love to share..Sweetie Pie On The Loose! #CaturdayMy Profile

4. Gordon

October 22, 2016 at 12:16am

When you start with terlits it usually goes downhill from there but the following fancy doors made it go uphill! Nice post!

October 22, 2016 at 8:07am

Thanks, Gordon. I’m a natural-born introvert who has had to learn to let my shadow loudmouth drive the bus, so I treasure small, quiet, private spaces, even if it contains mostly porcelain. A touch of beauty in the functionality is all the better.
      Marian Allen would love to share..Sweetie Pie On The Loose! #CaturdayMy Profile