27 @StoryADayMay Hand of Judgment

shortstorymonthx240The countdown has begun in earnest. Five days from the end of the challenge, I see the possibility of my finishing it.

Today’s story is short — STOP CHEERING! — in tribute to my new internet friends Nikita the Cat and his sister, Elvira, Mistress of Felinity. Their daddy, Kiril Kundurazieff, helps them post 100 word cat stories on their very own blog, The Opinionated Pussycat. This month, they’ve been chronicling the adventures of Aubrey, who was stolen from his boy but escaped captivity.

In honor of Nikita, Elvira, Aubrey, and Kiril, today’s story is exactly 100 words.

Hand of Judgment

by Marian Allen

How many times had his mother’s hand smacked his young bottom? How many meals had it helped prepare, helped serve? How many times had it gripped his head, turning his face toward his plate while his mother ordered him to eat so the children in Asia wouldn’t starve?

How many letters had it written his grown self, questioning his decisions, criticizing his choices, dampening his enthusiasms?

Hospital beeps marked time as he sat beside her bed, waiting, hoping. He took the offending hand between both of his, lifted it and kissed it.

Come back, he told it. All is forgiven.

~ * ~

MY PROMPT FOR TODAY: 5

One thought on “27 @StoryADayMay Hand of Judgment

1. Kiril Kundurazieff

May 27, 2013 at 8:32am

Wonderfful!

Nikita, the author of the May series on The Opinionated Pussycat, is well pleased by the honor you give him by writing one of your own, but he’s a tad cranky this morning after his morning breakfast, and has gone off to take a nap and contemplate his own Day 27 piece for later(He claims it’s his arthritis acting up)….

You see, the one thing we have always had a hard time explaining to non-pet bloggers is that Nikita and Elvira are among those who do their own writing and most of the research (I do what can only be done by leaving the apartment w/o the kitties).

I am just their “Official Research Assistant and Photographer”! 😀
    Kiril Kundurazieff would love to share..I survived Blog Paws!My Profile

May 27, 2013 at 10:41am

Poor Nikita! I hope his arthritis eases. 🙁 I didn’t know there were pet strollers! That sounds like a good thing for an arthritic kitty to have.

Please tell Nikita and Miss Elvira, or let them read for themselves, that I apologize if I indicated they were in any way less than totally responsible for the wonderful posts on The Opinionated Kitty! I was judging them by Katya, who makes me do as much of her work as possible.
      Marian Allen would love to share..18 #StoryADayMay #Caturday Cats’ CradleMy Profile

May 27, 2013 at 9:48am

A really good story.

3. Jen Christopherson

May 27, 2013 at 4:34pm

Oh! You made me cry!!! How sad this story is today! What a great writer you are! I thought of my relationship with my own mother for many years. I am grateful to say, we have a great relationship now! I am proud of the progress she has made since her stroke in December. We are looking at walking without a walker! Yay!
    Jen Christopherson would love to share..OMG!!! This is real!!My Profile

May 27, 2013 at 4:57pm

Congratulations on your mother’s progress AND ON YOUR BOOK RELEASE!!! How great is that??? I just ordered my copy. How could I resist that title? WARRIOR CRONE — I love it!

My mom had a stroke seven years ago, and ended up regaining everything except some of her eyesight. Then she fell and conked the back of her head and gained some sight back!

Hugs to your bf, your mom, and your bf’s mom. 🙂
      Marian Allen would love to share..27 @StoryADayMay Hand of JudgmentMy Profile

• Jen Christopherson

May 27, 2013 at 8:30pm

I am sooooo walking on cloud 9!!!! Wow! I am amazed at the wonderful things happening in my life right now! I am grateful for my Father in heaven.
        You bought you a copy?!? Oh! I hope you enjoy it! I had a great time writing and editing it.
        Jen Christopherson would love to share..OMG!!! This is real!!My Profile

4. Mr. Nikita Cat

May 27, 2013 at 11:37pm

Marian, this is really cool!

A very moving story, thank you for trying your own 100 word story and succeeding so brilliantly!

As for our old Feline Utility Vehicle; I miss it, especially being able to take naps & snoozes in it when not in use!

I have just posted my own Day 27…The Returned
    Mr. Nikita Cat would love to share..100 Word Cat Story 35: The ReturnedMy Profile

May 28, 2013 at 10:05am

Mr. Nikita, thank you for introducing me to 100 word stories. I had heard of them before, and had even read some, but you caused me to want to try one myself.

Katya says she would only want a stroller if I took the wheels off and sat in it myself. She doesn’t want to sit anywhere except next to me or in my chair.
      Marian Allen would love to share..28 @StoryADayMay How Tortoise Got His ShellMy Profile