Salem, Indiana #ThursdayDoors

Charlie, one of his brothers, and I went to Salem to meet and have lunch with a couple of friends. Because they live about the same distance from Salem as we do, but in another direction, Salem is a good rendezvous. It also has some good restaurants, so there you go.

Salem, Indiana was founded in 1816, and its downtown area is on the National Register of Historic Places. John Hunt Morgan and his hooligan friends raided Salem after they were finished with Corydon. Damn ’em.

We got there a little early, so I went on a small doorscursion.

This door isn’t very pretty, but who could resist the name?

SalemMisfitDoorAnd I heartily approve of the note in the window. This is what I like to see in the window of a bar.

SalemMisfitWindowOur friends came, and we walked around the corner to the restaurant. But first, I had to take a picture of the buildings across the street.

SalemOldHouseLet’s get a closer look at that door set into the red wood because red and wood, therefore MomGoth magnet.

Oh, cool! A Chinese restaurant!

Oh, cool! A Chinese restaurant!

And this place, with the awesome grillwork.

SalemOldHouseDoor

Oops! Turns out, this is an apartment house. The next time I came by, the view was marred by sacks of trash waiting for pickup. Sorry, folks. Not a stalker. Srsly.

No, these are the buildings we were headed for.

SalemSueBldgThis one, specifically.

Sue's Thai Kitchen. Down-home cookin'. If your home is in Thailand.

Sue’s Thai Kitchen. Down-home cookin’. If your home is in Thailand.

Yep. Thai, all right. Because dragon.

SalemSueDragon

Door to the busy, busy kitchen, where Sue presides.

Door to the busy, busy kitchen, where Sue presides.

I wanted to get a close picture of the beautiful courthouse, but I played it safe and took a long shot. INSANE traffic, people. Still, you can see some beautiful arches and stonework here.

SalemCourthouseAnd — oh! oh! oh! What’s this I see? Look closely, Dan Antion!

SalemCourthouseCraneThis has been a minor contribution to Norm Frampton’s wonderful Thursday Doors link-up. Go to his site, look at his fantabulous photos, and click on the little blue linky-thing to see doors from all over the world.

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Send your character on a road trip. Lookin’ at YOU, Jane.

One thought on “Salem, Indiana #ThursdayDoors

July 21, 2016 at 9:31am

It is, janet! If we go sometimes when it isn’t a million degrees hot outside, I’ll insist on a ramble around the square. ๐Ÿ™‚
      Marian Allen would love to share..TURTLE FEATHERSMy Profile

1. That was a charming lil tour. I don’t know if I’ve been to Salem. I will have to ask my husband if that’s one of the places we go through to get other places. It doesn’t look familiar. But then, there’s this part of my brain that connects Salem to a mill. Hm.
    Anyway, great doors. Love that bar sign as well. People takin guns to bars — What’re we, livin in the wild, wild west?
    How’s the Thai food at Sue’s? I like the dragon.
    Joey would love to share..#ThursdayDoors โ€” I Once Was LostMy Profile

July 21, 2016 at 9:35am

The Thai food at Sue’s is WONDERFUL! The first time I went, I asked for level 1 heat, because I thought that was the lowest. This time, the menu specified that there was a level 0 and I got that. I liked the 1 better, even though it took off the top of my head every time I took a bite. But in a GOOD way! I got Pad Thai both times. I think I got pork, but there were a couple of stray tofu cubes in there that were SO GOOD, next time I’mma ask for tofu instead of meat.
      Marian Allen would love to share..THE KING OF CHEROKEE CREEKMy Profile

July 21, 2016 at 9:54am

The road trip is tentatively entitled “Four Girls in a Jeep.” The girls might be hunting werewolves. Or the Wild Hunt. Or probably both. Sound tasty?
    Liked the tour. Really great, huge even, building!

July 21, 2016 at 9:56am

Oh. BTW< the eternally evolving restaurant location now has a Thai food sign in front. And is Now Hiring. Maybe we have some Thai food in our future?

4. Jean Reinhardt

July 21, 2016 at 12:21pm

That courthouse is very impressive. So nice, that I would risk getting arrested just to say my case was being heard there. LOL ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Jean Reinhardt would love to share..Thursday DoorsMy Profile

July 22, 2016 at 10:44am

My husband would never ever ever go into such a place. But I would. We grew up in the same part of town, didn’t know each other then, but his folks were respectable and mine were by God just as respectable as anybody else. Meaning, you know, maybe not. His ancestors were English and mine were mostly Irish and German. Our idea of a seven-course meal was a six-pack and a potato. ๐Ÿ˜€
      Marian Allen would love to share..#ThursdayDoors From an Undisclosed LocationMy Profile

5. Jesh StG

July 21, 2016 at 4:15pm

Had to laugh at the name oft he bar:):) I can see you had fun on this trip. Thai – yes, I like the taste – often less greasy and more subtle (except when you are in China, they have some good restaurants there – and cheap!)

No writing prompts for me this week! Yesterday just wanted to edit a last chapter, and my header went crazy, and foolish me -in trying to correct it, my text started scrambling, so I have type again 322 pages double spaced! (good I had a paper copy!!)
    Jesh StG would love to share..AMADOR COUNTYMy Profile

July 22, 2016 at 10:45am

Oh, no, Jesh, say it ain’t so! Surely you can recover it! TELL me you had it backed up!
      Marian Allen would love to share..SAGEMy Profile