Doorways to Wonder #ThursdayDoors at #FandomFest

I must beg the indulgence, as I so often must, of the other Norm Frampton Thursday Doors link-up participants. Follow that link and click on the little blue frog button to see some REAL door pictures. This post has a couple of doors, just to show willing, but it’s really about Fandom Fest.

Here’s the door to the dealer’s room.

DOORYes, that’s one of many Captain Americas (or should it be Captains America?) in attendance. Fandom Fest is all about fandom, though previously it’s been heavy (too heavy, for my taste) on horror. This year, it was more about Godzilla and stuff, so I was happy.

LongDay

It was a long day for our little man.

You never knew who you were going to see strolling around together.

Popeye and Deadpool

Popeye and Deadpool

Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas, a guy from a fandom I don't know, and Elsa from Frozen

Sally from Nightmare Before Christmas, a guy from a fandom I don’t know, and Elsa from Frozen

A couple Disney women and two others I didn't know. No, I don't know much.

A couple Disney women and two others I didn’t know. No, I don’t know much.

That Disney girl (Rapunzel?) shows off her hair.

DisneyFriends2Of course, there were Booth Babes. A Booth Babe is an attractive woman generally revealingly dressed who smiles and attracts people to your table. A good Booth Babe isn’t just eye candy. She or he also knows all about what you’re selling and helps make the sale or totally makes the sale for you. If all your Booth Babe can do is look good, everybody feels sorry for you, including the shoppers. This mermaid with legs down to the ground was an excellent Booth Babe.

BoothBabeImportant convention-going tip: If you’re strolling the hall and you meet Satan and one of his minions, and you take his picture and he then runs toward you roaring, “SELFIE!”….

DevilMinionYou take a selfie.

DevilSelfieHere’s my favorite costume.

MyFavoriteAnybody know why?

Here’s a gallery of some more pictures, and then a final door.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

And the door.

Door2I was on panels all weekend (Godzilla, Publishing Today, Writing Horror, the work of J. K. Rowling), but next year we’re also going to have a table to sell books.

A fine time was had by all.

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: Your character walks through a door.

One thought on “Doorways to Wonder #ThursdayDoors at #FandomFest

August 4, 2016 at 8:41am

Love the TARDIS. Now there is a DOOR to somewhere!

Going out on a limb: The 2 Disney princesses may have been accompanied by Dr. Doom and the Scarlet Witch.

August 4, 2016 at 8:46am

I don’t know the Scarlet Witch, so I’ll buy that. If that was Dr. Doom, he was a piss-poor one. Of course, so was my photo. It was hard to get the hall costumes where they weren’t backlit from SOME damn place. Might’ve been Doom. Might’ve been Bubba Fett or one of that crowd.
      Marian Allen recently posted..THE KING OF CHEROKEE CREEK

2. Joey

August 4, 2016 at 9:06am

Nice!
    I don’t know enough about this stuff to fill in the blanks, either. My son is ALL ABOUT this sorta thing and frequently attends them. He’s a steampunk guy. He was super impressed I knew that, so I feel like I get props for that.
    My youngest daughters always beg him to take them, and I’m sure their days at ‘cons’ are coming šŸ™‚
    I’m so glad you took a selfie with Satan. (she thought she’d never write.) You make them look creepier, with your big happy, human smile!
    Joey recently posted..#ThursdayDoors ā€” We Went to Lyons

August 4, 2016 at 9:48am

They had a Steampunk Captain Marvel and a performance of Steampunk belly dancers, so he would have been happy. šŸ™‚ [Shameless Plug: buy him copies of Katina French’s Steampunk Fairy Tales. Per Bastet publications (my publishing house) has her BITTER COLD, a Steampunk retelling of The Snow Queen, and Line by Lion has her BIG TEETH, Steampunk Little Red Riding Hood, MIRRORS AND MAGIC, Steampunk Snow White, and BLOWHARD, Steampunk … wait for it … The Three Little Pigs.] https://www.amazon.com/Katina-French/e/B00CJHE2WO/
      Marian Allen recently posted..Doorways to Wonder #ThursdayDoors at #FandomFest

• Joey

August 4, 2016 at 10:25am

GTFO!How cool is that? I don’t know if he’d read such things, but I’ve texted him titles etc.

August 4, 2016 at 10:29am

Thanks! They’re great fun! She does a series of science fiction short novels, too, called the Belle Starr Chronicles, about a woman who pilots the Belle Starr starship. Being literally insane is both a consequence and a prerequisite for traveling through bent space to get quickly from one place to another.
          Marian Allen recently posted..Doorways to Wonder #ThursdayDoors at #FandomFest

• Joey

August 4, 2016 at 10:35am

I feel like I’ve heard of Belle Starr…is that also steampunk?

August 4, 2016 at 10:41am

Belle Starr was an outlaw in the American old west. The ship is named after her, because the pilot is non-licensed. It isn’t Steampunk; it’s more humorous science fiction action. Kind of like Firefly.

Oh, and I write, too, ya know? heh
              Marian Allen recently posted..Doorways to Wonder #ThursdayDoors at #FandomFest

3. Geert Smits

August 4, 2016 at 10:05am

This is my favorite door of the week! (month even..) The reason: I am a huge fan of Dr. Who and have been watching season 1 – 8 in the last weeks šŸ™‚

August 4, 2016 at 10:22am

Dr. Who! I first saw Dr. Who back in 1968, on a school exchange trip to England. šŸ˜€ The door of that TARDIS at the convention did open. There was a small stuffed tiger on a stepladder. So, of course, the only thing you could say was, “It’s Tigger on the inside!” lol
      Marian Allen recently posted..Doorways to Wonder #ThursdayDoors at #FandomFest

4. Dan Antion

August 4, 2016 at 10:16am

I once attended a Star Trek convention. It was here in Hartford, so, I figured I had to go. Not many people were dressing the part back then. I don’t have many pictures of friends with Satan – Joey’s right, that seems weird to say. I can’t fill in any of the blanks and I’m not sure I know who’s who in the photos where you only named one or two.

You have a door, so you’re good (of course, I say that with no authority whatsoever), but my post today is light on “doors” so… you know, safety in numbers…
    Dan Antion recently posted..Thursday Doors ā€“ The Gold Building

• Joey

August 4, 2016 at 10:55am

No, actually, I’ve already bought one, but I haven’t read it yet, and I have two more in the cart. Apparently, I think I’ll enjoy your work lol šŸ˜›

• Jane

August 5, 2016 at 1:30pm

Oh, Dan! You’ve given me my laughiest chortle of the day! “I don’t have many pictures of friends with Satan.” Hilarious. Thanks! So much!

5. Joey

August 4, 2016 at 10:53am

I do know šŸ™‚
    I believe you’re in my Amazon cart twice! It’s a big cart. lol

6. Mary J

August 4, 2016 at 12:12pm

TARDIS…best blue door ever! As for Rapunzel, I love the hair…giving me ideas for Halloween ?

7. Jesh StG

August 4, 2016 at 3:04pm

With all these phantotastic creepy costumes I was never so happy to see the police box door! haha- and then your new profile pic, Marian, gives me a whole new side of you:):)
    Jesh StG recently posted..AMADOR COUNTY

8. Jean Reinhardt

August 4, 2016 at 4:36pm

That looked like a lot of fun, you must have had a great time, in spite of being forced to pose with ‘Satan’ that was a hell of a shot, lol.

August 5, 2016 at 8:54am

Ha! It was loads of fun, Jean! I couldn’t believe how much fun it was! I think part of it was that the halls were so huge, I didn’t feel crowded and impinged on on befuddled by too much input too close to me. Plus: no zombies. I’ll take Old Scratch over a zombie any day!
      Marian Allen recently posted..TURTLE FEATHERS

August 5, 2016 at 8:57am

Hi, Deborah! We had a great time, and we’re looking forward to 2017. šŸ™‚ We have three more events scheduled this year; two little local festivals and one big convention that focuses on writing/filmmaking.
      Marian Allen recently posted..SIDESHOW IN THE CENTER RING

9. Norm 2.0

August 4, 2016 at 9:59pm

šŸ™‚
    There’s a door in there, so you’re safe. The rules are not that strict anyway so no worries.
    I’ve never attended one of these, though the one they have here is getting very popular. I may have to give it a try next year.
    Norm 2.0 recently posted..Thursday Doors ā€“ August 4, 2016