Sad Old Week #FridayRecommends

Friday RecommendsbwGot no heart for fun today. There is no joy in Mudville.

I mean, I know worse things happen every day. More people die than I can possibly know, and every person’s death is an occasion of sorrow for at least one person.

The deaths of innocents, caused by the selfishness or disregard of other people are more worthy of noting and protesting and mourning, but these guys touched my heart and gave me joy and I’ll miss them.

David Bowie.

Alan Rickman.

Dammit.

A WRITING PROMPT FOR YOU: A character mourns for someone they’ve never met.

One thought on “Sad Old Week #FridayRecommends

January 15, 2016 at 8:27am

I must agree wholeheartedly. A big sad sigh. I look at the people who entertain and delight us, and I think when they pass on, that they must have received a lot of joy doing their highest and best. It’s a great thing to achieve and accomplish. Most of us have the trying hard as hell end of this deal. I always tell myself that the setbacks are the milestones that tell us we are trying to move forward.

January 15, 2016 at 8:35am

We need to take our joy from doing OUR highest and best. We may never BE THE highest and best, but we can be OUR highest and best, yes? Here endeth the lesson for the day. Amen.

Have you ever seen DOGMA? One of the best films ever made, IMO, and Rickman was The Voice Of God. Appropriate, eh?
      Marian Allen would love to share..THE KING OF CHEROKEE CREEKMy Profile

• Jane

January 15, 2016 at 8:56am

OMG!

Dogma knocked my socks off.

2. Deb

January 15, 2016 at 2:12pm

It is sad to say goodbye to those who have entertained us for so many years and brought something special into our lives. My 17 year old daughter, in particular, has been very sad to hear about Alan Rickman’s death. What a strange coincidence that my last post just so happens to be about a funeral home – unfortunate timing!
    Deb would love to share..Thursday Doors: Ahern Funeral HomeMy Profile

January 15, 2016 at 5:11pm

I KNOW, Deb! And last week my Facebook timestream was all about David Bowie and then BAM he was gone. And if you wrote coincidences like that into a story, people would scoff at it and say you were being cheesy.
      Marian Allen would love to share..SIDESHOW IN THE CENTER RINGMy Profile

January 16, 2016 at 7:45am

I don’t know if it’s sadder when they go while they’re still doing good work or after they’ve faded to obscurity. Oh, the saddest FOR ME is when I “discover” somebody whose work I adore and then I find out they were alive most of my life up to now, and I just missed the chance to write them a letter or ever EVER POSSIBLY meet them. I put that particular sad in a book. Because that’s what you do.
      Marian Allen would love to share..A DEAD GUY AT THE SUMMERHOUSEMy Profile